Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Part number help

jotto

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue
Hi all, my new 81 is on its way here from the States and so is an AIM and Shop Manual.

Just wondered if someone could post up the GM part # of the rear tail/signal bulb socket, the one with 3 wires going to it. Ive seen the ones that sellers like ZIp etc do but being in the UK, Im looking to source one locally, possibly an AC Delco part as they cross reference with the original GM part#.

Here in the UK we have to have amber turn signals and usually I would just put an amber bulb in the back up housing and modify the wiring but this time Im going to use switch back LED lamps so I can have both the back up lamp in white and the turn signal in Amber.

Many thanks in advance. :thumb

there is no part number .
what there is a rear wiring harness assembly....it has all the rear wiring integrated in it...
try lectric limited they have all the wiring assembly's...
I would suggest you purchase a assembly construction manual,this is the bible as to how these were built
also a factory service manual,how they were repaired by Chevy/GM

there is no part number .
what there is a rear wiring harness assembly....it has all the rear wiring integrated in it...
try lectric limited they have all the wiring assembly's...
I would suggest you purchase a assembly construction manual,this is the bible as to how these were built
also a factory service manual,how they were repaired by Chevy/GM

Thanks for the reply Bill. I realised it was part of the rear wiring loom but thought you must be able to get replacements. As I posted above, the AIM and shop manual are on the way.

Was guided to this, Buy BWD Pigtail/Socket PT53 at Advance Auto Parts and am now trying to find one here in the UK or a compatible part.

I don't see why you couldn't splice in a replacement,if you needed to...

I don't see why you couldn't splice in a replacement,if you needed to...

Exactly what I was thinking.
When finished, all of my rear sockets will be the 3 wire kind.
Outers will be tail and brake lights, inners will be back up and turn signals.

Just cant seem to find that part overe here! lol.

Anyone know if the AC Delco LS244 Will fit in the rear? Apparently its only seems to be listed for the front but I can get Delco parts quite easily here.

Hello Jotto,

The thing is the brake/turn lens (red) is one lens. But the backup light is also one lens, so no separate backup and reflector.
You can switch the red lenses to the inside and the backup lenses to the outside, the only thing you need to do is remove the white plastic at the rear of the lens (which prevents you from switching). I think the turn signal is a separate wire and the light/brake light is a separate wire but I'm not sure.
Thing is when you do this and you push the turn signal the red reflector in the lens will also be iluminated. You can splice the wires to only have turn signal on the outside and normal light and brakes on the inside.

When I look at the Delco LS244 it looks like the locking system is lowered inside the socket, the normal socket has the locking system on top of the socket.
What you can do is send an email to corvetteparts.nl. He is the zip retailer in the Netherlands but also sends stuff to other surrounding countries.

But the thing I don't understand. Are all 80-82 vette's in England with orange turnsignal lenses? Overhere they only have problems with new cars but not with the old ones.

Greetings Peter

Hello Jotto,

The thing is the brake/turn lens (red) is one lens. But the backup light is also one lens, so no separate backup and reflector.
You can switch the red lenses to the inside and the backup lenses to the outside, the only thing you need to do is remove the white plastic at the rear of the lens (which prevents you from switching). I think the turn signal is a separate wire and the light/brake light is a separate wire but I'm not sure.
Thing is when you do this and you push the turn signal the red reflector in the lens will also be iluminated. You can splice the wires to only have turn signal on the outside and normal light and brakes on the inside.

When I look at the Delco LS244 it looks like the locking system is lowered inside the socket, the normal socket has the locking system on top of the socket.
What you can do is send an email to corvetteparts.nl. He is the zip retailer in the Netherlands but also sends stuff to other surrounding countries.

But the thing I don't understand. Are all 80-82 vette's in England with orange turnsignal lenses? Overhere they only have problems with new cars but not with the old ones.

Greetings Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply and the link.

Normally, I would do away with the white back up lamp and put an amber bulb in its place for the turn signal and modify the wiring. Here in the UK we must have amber turn signals.
This time, as Im going to try and use switch back LED bulbs, I will keep the white back up and have amber turn signals all in one. The brake lights will be just brake and tail lights and not turn. There is a minor modification to the wiring but it is very easy.

Will see what price the part comes out at from http://www.corvetteparts.nl/

_Images%5CBlobs%5CL-389.JPG

This is the ZIP part and it does indeed look different to the others I looked at.

:thumb

75 Euro which is £60 or $93!!!!!

Will order from the US. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom