Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Passenger Cabin Air Filter

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
Just a heads up here. After driving my '06 for just over 2 years, I was reminded that there is a passenger compartment air filter that needs service. I checked mine and it was filthy with dirt and leaves. So, it was probably screwing the air flow inside the car.

Checked with my dealer and they had to order the filter as I seem to be the first one to actually ask for one. Ain't cheap either at $30+ each.

Guess I should have re-read the owners manual again and again and again to remind myself of all the new stuff they add to cars every year or two.

Thanks for the reminder Tuna!!! I did read my manual (once) and knew of the filter, but like you said, there's so much stuff crammed into these cars, it's hard to remember it all.

re-use

Hey Tuna, could you have used an air compressor to back blow the filter clean & re-use it???
Just wondering if it can be cleaned & used again..............mike j.

Hey Tuna, could you have used an air compressor to back blow the filter clean & re-use it???
Just wondering if it can be cleaned & used again..............mike j.

If I hadn't waited 2 years - probably. At this point, it was too plugged up to clean. I wonder if K&N makes a washable filter?

The cabin filters are a little hard to find through aftermarket sources but they are out there. Auto Zone, the last I checked, could not get them. But as I recall, Advance Auto and maybe Napa had them for less than GM. I think Advanced Auto was something like $18 and it was a major brand like Purolator.

If you've recently won the Lotto, AC Delco makes a carbon cabin filter for over $50. Part #CF131C.

If you've recently won the Lotto, AC Delco makes a carbon cabin filter for over $50. Part #CF131C.

The one I got from the dealer is a paper filter - AC Delco CF 139 if memory serves. I got it 'wholesale' at $25.

ChangingHelp

Tuna, can you give a few simple instructions on how to change the filter, where it's located and how to get at it?
Perhaps its in the manual but since I have not taken delivery of MY NEW 2008 RED COUPE I havent read about it yet. Thanks, Mike J.

Tuna, can you give a few simple instructions on how to change the filter, where it's located and how to get at it?
Look near your battery, on the firewall. There are a few clips that hold the door of the filter.

Perhaps its in the manual but since I have not taken delivery of MY NEW 2008 RED COUPE I havent read about it yet. Thanks, Mike J.

The cabin air filter in located above the battery inside the firewall. There are 3 spring clips on the top of the hatch just below the weather seal. You lift those up and remove the hatch. The edge of the filter is visible then and you just pull the filter straight out. It's a snug fit so I pull a little on each end to get it out.

The cabin air filter in located above the battery inside the firewall. There are 3 spring clips on the top of the hatch just below the weather seal. You lift those up and remove the hatch. The edge of the filter is visible then and you just pull the filter straight out. It's a snug fit so I pull a little on each end to get it out.
Don't forget to open the hood first. :upthumbs

I took mine out and cleaned it but then got sidetracked and couldn't remember which side (up or down) was the dirty one....in other words, which way does the air flow...up or down. Anyone remember???

Thanks

The dirty side was up on mine.

I was thinking that I could do a little research and find a regular air filter of the right size that could be bought at walmart for $6...instead of $30 or $50...will post if it works. Thanks for the up or down info! Dirt on the top!

Chris

Guess I should have re-read the owners manual again and again and again to remind myself of all the new stuff they add to cars every year or two.

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS it has a passenger compartment air filter on it, so it isn't something that is brand new to the industry. I would think that the Corvette has had a passenger compartment air filter prior to that. The times that I have change the filter in my Monte Carlo it has been plastered with leaves, dirt, pollen, and just about evetything else that you can imagine. I don't recall the price, but went to Advance Auto for my filter, much cheaper then OEM, but just as effective.

I recently checked mine as well and it was also disgusting.

So I just called a local GM dealer to see if they had one so I could go pick it up.
WOW is all I gotta say. Are you ready for this?!? $96.00

Just another reminder of how we Canadians get ROYALLY screwed on pricing on just about EVERYTHING.

Definetely gonna shop around to get a cheaper one.

Sorry, had to vent a little.

I recently checked mine as well and it was also disgusting.

So I just called a local GM dealer to see if they had one so I could go pick it up.
WOW is all I gotta say. Are you ready for this?!? $96.00

Just another reminder of how we Canadians get ROYALLY screwed on pricing on just about EVERYTHING.

Definetely gonna shop around to get a cheaper one.

Sorry, had to vent a little.

Yeah, but it was just Canadian dollars, right??? ;LOL:rotfl;LOL

None of the usual auto supply stores in my area carry the filter. Those places also didn't have it on-line. I searched and found one on-line at RockAuto.com for $18.70 - part # 24480. It is stiffer than the stock filter so it may be carbon activated.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom