Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Passenger side headlight only flips halfway!

brucemc777

Corvette
1989 Black
Hellllllllloooooooooo folks!

This is my first post here as it is my first opportunity. My mother (and I qualify in some places as a senior citizen myself) has a Corvette but as she now is no longer allowed to drive (got several stories on that one), I am somewhat overseeing it (It's in the will to me, but she loves it so much, no, I am not going to just drive it away...). The last problem was easy to identify and way over my head - all the brake lines had rusted so horribly one finally burst. Pretty straight forward.

Now for the case at hand: Though the driver's side headlamp works fine, the passenger's side only does a half-flip, then kind of dangles there gently swinging back and forth a bit. When I shut the light switch off, it shuts fine. Temporarily at nite I jam a stick in the housing to keep the thing pointed forward; otherwise it just points down lighting up the well in which it resides.

Does anyone know either what my next steps of diagnosis to respond upon are, or have we enough for someone to be able to advise what I need to do? I want to handle it myself if possible but NEVER have I worked on anything but trucks and beaters so I want to get some good guidance broken down so a third grader could understand...

Thanks!!!

You don't say what year the Corvette is, but this video says it's for all C4's. That's not true. This video only applies to the '88-'96 headlights. The '84-'87 headlights are entirely different.
It's easy to identify the difference. This video shows the motors for the headlights which have the manual control knobs located on the top of the motor. The '84-'87 headlight motors have the manual control knobs on the bottom!

:pat

Much appreciate the followup Hot Rod Roy; and it would seem I got lucky for though I did have a year in the profile, my fat fingers hit 1979, which I have now corrected to 1989 as it should be, and by what you write, that is the video I need! Now to order and wait for the gear to arrive so I can quit shoving a stick between the housing and the hood to jam it open at nite. What's the old saying - Where there's a will there's a way...

I changed both of mine last year. It's a fairly simple job to do, good time to sip on a beer while playing around with your ride. ;)

same problem on a 95 coupe - simple fix

Hellllllllloooooooooo folks!

This is my first post here as it is my first opportunity. My mother (and I qualify in some places as a senior citizen myself) has a Corvette but as she now is no longer allowed to drive (got several stories on that one), I am somewhat overseeing it (It's in the will to me, but she loves it so much, no, I am not going to just drive it away...). The last problem was easy to identify and way over my head - all the brake lines had rusted so horribly one finally burst. Pretty straight forward.

Now for the case at hand: Though the driver's side headlamp works fine, the passenger's side only does a half-flip, then kind of dangles there gently swinging back and forth a bit. When I shut the light switch off, it shuts fine. Temporarily at nite I jam a stick in the housing to keep the thing pointed forward; otherwise it just points down lighting up the well in which it resides.

Does anyone know either what my next steps of diagnosis to respond upon are, or have we enough for someone to be able to advise what I need to do? I want to handle it myself if possible but NEVER have I worked on anything but trucks and beaters so I want to get some good guidance broken down so a third grader could understand...

Thanks!!!
My headlamp problem was that it would hit and sometimes hang up on the metal tube going to the antifreeze recovery tank, located just below the headlamp on my 95 coupe . Just bent the tube a bit and put on a piece of masking tape to show any future rubbing. All OK since.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom