Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: passive keyless entry system

USMC 0311

Corvette
93 40TH ANNIVERSARY ROADSTER
SMH: I have owned a 93 "Ruby" for 15 years now...I am not complaining about my car, I LOVE MY CAR, but the Passive Keyless Entry key fobs are a different story. I have gone through at least 4 of them in 15 years. when they cease to function, I replace the battery which I believe is a culprit. after I do it, it still does not work. I would buy a new transmitter and then program it and it works fine. the point and my question is there a life expectancy or something on the transmitters. the last one I had survived 4 or 5 years. I am a little confused that is all:ugh:ugh

SMH: I have owned a 93 "Ruby" for 15 years now...I am not complaining about my car, I LOVE MY CAR, but the Passive Keyless Entry key fobs are a different story. I have gone through at least 4 of them in 15 years. when they cease to function, I replace the battery which I believe is a culprit. after I do it, it still does not work. I would buy a new transmitter and then program it and it works fine. the point and my question is there a life expectancy or something on the transmitters. the last one I had survived 4 or 5 years. I am a little confused that is all:ugh:ugh

Sounds like you may be having a problem with the contacts. You may want to check them for corrosion. Never heard of FOB'S dying, mine are 19 years old.

There is a small ball bearing in the FOB that activates when you leave the keys in the ignition & lock the doors. Shake the car & the FOB wakes up & opens the doors. Shake the FOB & listen for a rattle. There is a way to check for codes on the PKE system, but I have no info for a 93, perhaps some one will chime in?

Don't know if this info will be of any value?

Same here on the PKE remote, had them for as old as the car is. I just now after many years replacing the batteries for the third time in all those years. Maybe it's just the way there handled or possibly yours are used a lot more. Have you ever taken them apart and look at it with a glass? Sometimes as boards go the foil cracks which is very hard to see unless you use a glass. Again, laying on them, keeping it in your pocket or dropping them can cause wear. I've destroyed many phones this way. Just a thought.

Same here on the PKE remote, had them for as old as the car is. I just now after many years replacing the batteries for the third time in all those years. Maybe it's just the way there handled or possibly yours are used a lot more. Have you ever taken them apart and look at it with a glass? Sometimes as boards go the foil cracks which is very hard to see unless you use a glass. Again, laying on them, keeping it in your pocket or dropping them can cause wear. I've destroyed many phones this way. Just a thought.
USMC 0311

I contacted a party that repairs PKE FOB'S.

The e-mail is c4fob@yahoo.com.

Drop her a line & she will send you the particulars on repairs, etc. Prices seem reasonable & it sure beats buying new fob's.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom