Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Perfect FIT Headers for C4's?

GO_VETTE

Corvette
1984 Pearl White Coupe
Okay, anyone who has true xeperience with c4's, please help us other C4 guys identify the best headers on market, (NOT DRiven by inexperineced editors working at Corvette magazines or flashy ADs).
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1. must have the EGR valves in correct location
2. prefer Long tube
3.must not hang so low to ground
4.cannot be unaffordable for average guy.
5. must not require any special welding and modifications on headers itself
* any suggestions*

Im curious too. Headers are supposed to be the best thing for the exhaust (25fl/lb of torque or at least close to it)!

autoparts warehouse headman headers part#h5668447 long tube headers with A.I.R and EGR 351.00 =FREE SHIPPING 1-800-913-6119

also their website is autoparts.com or autopartswarehouse.com cant remember wich one it is but go look!

I don't know if you'll find "perfect" fit headers. I believe in a '84 you'll have to replace the starter with a smaller unit. On my '88, some of the headers require modifying the alternator mounting bracket.

The closest you'll probably find to a "perfect" fit will probably be Exotic Muscle or Melrose. Naturally those are among the priciest, too.

I don't know if you'll find "perfect" fit headers. I believe in a '84 you'll have to replace the starter with a smaller unit. On my '88, some of the headers require modifying the alternator mounting bracket.

The closest you'll probably find to a "perfect" fit will probably be Exotic Muscle or Melrose. Naturally those are among the priciest, too.
Yes, that is true. Most headers require that you modify the AC bracket.
I think maybe I have no choice but get Melrose.

Headman is the lowest cost and the worst quality
TPIS headers fit without ANY modifications and are high quality but since you listed price and did not list quality TPIS will be more than what you are looking for.

My TPIS headers are 9 years old and still look good you will go through two sets of the cheaper headers in that amount of time not to mention the exhaust leaks from thin flanges causing the gasket to leak.

Too many headers are a one size fits all sort of thing and they fit nothing without modifications. You get what you pay for.

The TPIS long tube headers are $725 a pair per TPIS website.

The TPIS long tube headers are $725 a pair per TPIS website.
You will need the Y pipe unless you custom build true duals.
I would go with true duals and do away with the single pipe in the center.

Headers, LT1 Corvette Coated........$750.00

Y-Pipe, 86-91 Corvette, Slip Flange........$125.00

EGR feed tube & lock ring. For 87-91 Headers with EGR.........$86.00

undoubtlably all will need some extra work in different areas. Hookers fitment is great but standooff's for alt. and dipstick will need some fideling. TPIS on some will have some issue w/the Y pipe needing modifying, but standoffs are good w/original bolts. From there slip fit collectors will either sometimes leak, or overtime will become difficult/impossible to remove. Flanged collecters will be close on drivers side and heat sheilds will need work. Exhuast combos can have their share of fitment issuse on auot trans. While tpis, hookers, and em's are all good and will all fit the frame well, not hang low etc. plan on some minor work in different areas (and as mentioned, the bigger starter can be an issue on all). my.02

SLP stainless steel tri-Ys, but I think they've long stopped making them for C4s. Had them on my '86 since '90.

These C4's come with shorty headers, would better and bigger shorty headers be worth it or will they show little gain?

These C4's come with shorty headers, would better and bigger shorty headers be worth it or will they show little gain?

Unless your restricted to shortys due to pollution laws in your area there's not enough adavantage in shorty headers to make it worth the money and work to replace the stock ones.

This just one guy's opinion of course.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom