Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performance and Reliability Tale

silver98

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share a short tale. Yesterday I took my daughter to visit a college and then dropped my to see my son at his college. The round trip was 798 miles, I averaged 65.6 mph and using Sunoco 93 octane fuel, got 26.6 mpg.

I might have been able to do better on the mpg, but there were a number construction zones on the interstates, and if you note the average mph, you'll get the idea.

The 98 ran flawlessy. Its a 6 spd and bone stock. So anyone wondering about performance, should get assurance from this trip. It was my firstb 'road trip' with the Vette.

My daughter got a kick out of trying to count all the cars that moved from the left lane as I approached. Neither one of us has ever experienced this in any vehicle, though I do notice it fairly often in the Vette.

p.s. Through the entire trip the only 'sports car' I came across was a 944! Thought for sure with the beautiful weather, SOMEONE might have been on the road. Oh well, we both had a blast.

:w

silver98 said:
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share a short tale. Yesterday I took my daughter to visit a college and then dropped my to see my son at his college. The round trip was 798 miles, I averaged 65.6 mph and using Sunoco 93 octane fuel, got 26.6 mpg.

I might have been able to do better on the mpg, but there were a number construction zones on the interstates, and if you note the average mph, you'll get the idea.

The 98 ran flawlessy. Its a 6 spd and bone stock. So anyone wondering about performance, should get assurance from this trip. It was my firstb 'road trip' with the Vette.

My daughter got a kick out of trying to count all the cars that moved from the left lane as I approached. Neither one of us has ever experienced this in any vehicle, though I do notice it fairly often in the Vette.

p.s. Through the entire trip the only 'sports car' I came across was a 944! Thought for sure with the beautiful weather, SOMEONE might have been on the road. Oh well, we both had a blast.

:w

Dats what I'm talkin bout.....:beer

That's a nice road trip you had there. If the kids choose those schools, are you going to help them move with the 'Vette?:L

Always fun to go on a nice road trip!
-=Rick

Hey Edmond,

My daughter's college is 15 miles south of Lake Erie. That should rule out even visiting her most of the year in the Vette! The trip just to her college is 350 miles, so I'll have to rent a mini-van (yuucck) to get her moved in and out. As fpr winter breaks, Thanksgiving, Christmas and 'Spring' break, I doubt that the roads are goig to cooperate. Not good. We talked about that too. What a great time to spend in the Vette with my daughter! We covered a lot of topics. I personally should add, that spending this much time in a vette with a child is far more than the price of admission to the Vette!

Cheers all!

I know the feeling Silver98! Although my daughter is only 20 minutes away at college, she's home most every weekend. And if the weather is nice I can always count her to say at one point, "Hey Dad, let's take the roof off and go for a ride." And I can always count on replying "No problem!!!" and away we go.
We were always close, but it seems now that I have the Corvette, we're even closer. Either that or she's buttering me up to borrow the car one day!! :L

I think she's buttering you to have the car one day, not borrow it!:L

Excellent report, Silver! :upthumbs

You know, this gives me an idea. Besides Cruisefest, with the warmer months and nicer weather now upon us (and Remo finally getting his meds :L ), we're going to start getting some opportunities for individual or club road trips. And even if you don't have any "kills" to tell us about on the trip, there are always good stories to tell after a road trip.

What would you all think to a thread we could try keeping going all summer where folks post in their road trip experiences from cruises they take in their Vettes? Some of the stories might have a little drama to them, some might just be funny "I can't believe this happened to me" types, some might include some pics of great scenery your passenger had to take because you were a bit heavy on the throttle at the time. But they could make for interesting reads.

Who likes the idea?

-Patrick

Patrick, I think that is a great idea! Of course here in the land of eternal sunshine we get to cruise and take road trips year-round, but it still worth incorporating into the forum. Maybe with all the awareness and concern with the topic of child abuse and endangerment, we might come up with some element where we could utilize our Corvettes as "good will ambassadors" for children in various settings. I have personally used my vert to give youngsters, with parents' permission, rides while explaining the car and maybe even a short burst of speed (not to exceed the speed limit) which never fails to solicit a "wow!" from the right seat. Kids, boys and girls alike, seem really impressed with our cars, so maybe we could use them as a positive influence for the next generation of Vette lovers. God know we need to do what we can to preserve innocence and create safe havens for the young.

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom