Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: performance issue

Lippy

Corvette
1986 Corvett Gray/Black 2 tone
I am trying to understand why my 86 corvette is popping thru the exhaust when I accelerate but still performs well?:w

If it's "popping" out the exhaust on acceleration, you may think it's running right but it's not performing well.

Without understanding a little more about the problem's characterisics, "popping" or "backfiring" under load when accelerating is often a sign the ignition system needs attention. In what condition are your spark plugs, plug wires and ignition coil?

Popping thru the exhaust /performance issue

If it's "popping" out the exhaust on acceleration, you may think it's running right but it's not performing well.

Without understanding a little more about the problem's characterisics, "popping" or "backfiring" under load when accelerating is often a sign the ignition system needs attention. In what condition are your spark plugs, plug wires and ignition coil?

Let start by saying thank you very much for helping me with my car. I don't know anything about Corvettes But, I will be learning with everyone's help, and when it is possible I will gladly pass my experience's on to others in this forum.
I just realized it is time for the smog cert. So I am going to look into changing the spark plugs & wires.

I don't get to drive my car much, I may have put 10,000 miles on it in the last 3 years. I know I put plugs in it at 2 years ago. I had an issue with it shutting off at one time and the coil was changed out and that problem was resolved. I haven't changed the wires yet but I am going to change them as well.
Thank you again :)

Performance issue

Well just to follow up on this thread, I found out the popping was not coming thru the exhaust, it was happening when I accelerate but was coming from the rear end when the clutch pack was trying to lock up. I serviced the rear end and the popping stopped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom