Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performance Resource chip

slapshot

Corvette
1991 coupe, FX3, 6 spd, red/black
Is anyone familair wit the Performance Resource chips for the L98 C4's??? When I bought my car. the owner had one which wasn't installed. I wanted to get some info and specs on it BEFORE I installed it. I have already emailed Performance Resource directly, but the reply was useless....."it's deisgned to give significant performance increase and run cooler..." Thanks for the news flash, like I couldn't figure that out on my own.

Any feedback on them is appreciated

I am a newbie in understanding engine performance, have been reading quite a bit lately. I am not here to preach from someone else's literature. But so far I understand the following, so please bear with me:

1. Improved air flow efficiency through an engine increases Volumetric Efficiency (VE) of the engine.

2. Improvement of VE results with a corresponding enhancement of torque. There is an almost one-to-one correlation between VE & torque at different engine RPMs.

3. There are conventional mods that one can do to improve VE in an atmospherically aspirated engine; air intake path mods, intake plenum mods, header mods, exhaust mods, camshaft mods, etc etc etc. However you need to select first what RPM range you want the torque to be improved; low-to-mid rpm range / mid rpm range / mid-to-high rpm range? I am guessing you could also do mods to cover a wider range of RPMs but that may get things more complicated & expensive.

4. To take true benefit from VE improvement 2 things need to be adjusted: (a) fuel flow, and (b) ignition advance. The chip modification is required to adjust these 2 parameters.

5. Do not install a chip without knowing what exactly it will do.

So, have you done step 3 above already??? If the answer is "no", do not proceed with chip modification in step 4 right away. You can consult to Ken (site admin) for much better advice on this topic. I am sure Ken will tell you how best to go about VE improvement matters and necessary chip mods.

Cheers

Ken, do you agree with my comments??? Am I getting it right?

I installed the chip yesterday. There is a difference in power, however it's very slight. I don't know if I'm going to leave it installed or not. I'll give it a week or so and see how I like it. It runs fine, no misfires, rough idle, or anything.

slapshot said:
I installed the chip yesterday. There is a difference in power, however it's very slight. I don't know if I'm going to leave it installed or not. I'll give it a week or so and see how I like it. It runs fine, no misfires, rough idle, or anything.
Performance resource chips won a chip "shootout" back a decade ago - claimed up to 7 tenth's off a quarter mile time and the resuls in the shootout were close :eek

I bought one for my 89 automatic - in addition to better torque convertor control (lockup) it did help reduce 1/4 mi times from 14.0 @ 101(I think?) to 13.5 @ 105 however, I changed some of the exhaust components at the same time.
The car had a solid & fresh tuneup and still to this day, runs strong :upthumbs
Hope this helps :m

slapshot said:
Is anyone familair wit the Performance Resource chips for the L98 C4's??? When I bought my car. the owner had one which wasn't installed. I wanted to get some info and specs on it BEFORE I installed it. I have already emailed Performance Resource directly, but the reply was useless....."it's deisgned to give significant performance increase and run cooler..." Thanks for the news flash, like I couldn't figure that out on my own.

Any feedback on them is appreciated
An aftermarket calibration added to an engine that's otherwise stock will not improve performance significantly and maybe not even noticeably, however, if the chip also lowered the fan-on temps, that's a good thing.

make sure you reset the computer by disconnecting the positive battery cable for 2 mins. it will take upto 100 miles for the computer to relearn the new calibrations. this is where you drive it heavy footed so it learns your driving style ;)

give it a week or 2.

I disconnected the battery when I installed it last week. I've been driving it hard this week. It did lower the temp for the fans to come on and the car runs slightly cooler.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom