Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performer RPM under stock 75 hood

N

newonad

I have a 75 C-3 350 that needs a rebuild. My question concerns the RPM intake manifold under a stock hood. WILL IT FIT??? I gotten both answers and need to know if someone has actually done this. I'm thinking a drop base air filter with K&N new X-Stream Lid to reclaim lost airflow because of the small 2"air filter. Any thoughts???

Past Threads may help...

newonad

Here are 3 past threads on this subject you may find interesting ;)

From a Hijinx Thread: ENTER
From a Kenny Thread: ENTER
From a resto75 Thread: ENTER

Happy reading ;)

How about an L-82 hood?

I have yet to see a post (or maybe I just missed it) about an L-82 hood. I have seen other C3's and the L-82 has a small rise on it. If i had to guess about .5" more or less.

Would it still fit? How much higher is it than the stock position of the manifold?

sscam69

75 with high rise and stock hood

newonad said:
I have a 75 C-3 350 that needs a rebuild. My question concerns the RPM intake manifold under a stock hood. WILL IT FIT??? I gotten both answers and need to know if someone has actually done this. I'm thinking a drop base air filter with K&N new X-Stream Lid to reclaim lost airflow because of the small 2"air filter. Any thoughts???

There are 2 problem areas with the stock hood and a 14" diameter air cleaner. The front edge of the lid and the center stud. The angle and height of the hood scoop won't allow a 14" lid to clear with a 2" tall filter. The type of carb also makes a difference because the drop base can be modified and dropped further with the Quadrajet and Holley carbs, and it's a little more difficult with the Performer. Three separate parts will need to be purchased to make a 14" air cleaner fit and it's a bit pricey. The Edelbrock drop base air cleaner for the base only, a 14" X 1 7/8" tall K&N filter, and a Mr Gasket "low profile" air cleaner kit for the lid only. It still depends on the combination of intake and carb because. But it sounds like you want some performance since you mentioned lost airflow. Keep in mind with a round air cleaner you are using hot engine compartment air at full throttle instead of cooler air through the stock induction system. I installed a GM crate 350/330 in my '75 with a GM "bow tie" aluminum high rise intake which has the same height as most other aluminum manifolds and an Edelbrock Performer carb. Since '75 was the last year for functional cowl induction, and everyone has 14" chrome air cleaners, I decided to go a different route and keep the stock appearence underhood by modifying the original air cleaner so that I could retain the cowl induction. It can be done and after all the fabrication nobody will even notice the effort beacause it looks so OEM, oh well. I attached a photo.

newonad said:

I was able to get the Performer RPM manifold with the Thunder Series carb to fit under the stock hood of my 69 - see the follow-up I posted yesterday, "Hood Clearance Info (Edelbrock Performer RPM)" --- here's a photo of my engine with the 2" high air cleaner.

Im running an RPM Air Gap with a Demon carb.....drop base air cleaner and the actual element is a 1 1/4 element 14 inches diameter. My 73 has the (as I have heard it called) the mid rise hood.....and I have pleanty of clearance..

I am running a Performer RPM Q-Jet manifold, reworked stock Q-Jet carb. Drop base is a K&N 7/8", 3"X14" filter, and an inexpensive chrome top. This is an open element set up. I would rather have cold air, but stock snorkle type will not fit.

This set up fits, without problems, on my '76 with stock hood.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom