Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

perplexing Electrical problem with rear lights

danc5

Corvette
2002 Black coupe, Stroked LS3 530whp/560lb/ft
I spent several hous today trying to figure out this issue, hoping someone else had had same issue and will post fix...

Rear passenger side light will not come on when braking...drivers side and center mount do come on. Passenger side lights work under every other scenario ie running lights, blinkers, emergency flash, but will not come on under braking. Does anyone have a wiring diagram specifically for the 2002 C5 that they could email me? The diag I was going by was a 1998 manual and the colors do not match up. There appears to be factory splices changing colors before the rear wiring harness connects the the main harness. This problem happened after I had a z06 diff installed and an exhaust system, but I dont see and cuts or problem areas on the harness. Drivin' me nuts literally!;shrug;help

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

I spent several hous today trying to figure out this issue, hoping someone else had had same issue and will post fix...

Rear passenger side light will not come on when braking...drivers side and center mount do come on. Passenger side lights work under every other scenario ie running lights, blinkers, emergency flash, but will not come on under braking. Does anyone have a wiring diagram specifically for the 2002 C5 that they could email me? The diag I was going by was a 1998 manual and the colors do not match up. There appears to be factory splices changing colors before the rear wiring harness connects the the main harness. This problem happened after I had a z06 diff installed and an exhaust system, but I dont see and cuts or problem areas on the harness. Drivin' me nuts literally!;shrug;help

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
There should be a ground inside the right frame rail!! It's just like the one behind the left rear wheel on the outside of frame that you can see by looking behind the wheel thou the wheel opening,Only it's on the inside of the right rail! They probly have either not hooked it back up,or forgot to take it loose and stretched the Flock out of it getting the rear end out and broke the wire somewhere inside the insulation!! :thumb:thumb

Thanks!

There should be a ground inside the right frame rail!! It's just like the one behind the left rear wheel on the outside of frame that you can see by looking behind the wheel thou the wheel opening,Only it's on the inside of the right rail! They probly have either not hooked it back up,or forgot to take it loose and stretched the Flock out of it getting the rear end out and broke the wire somewhere inside the insulation!! :thumb:thumb

Thanks for the tip!!! I know exactly where that left rear ground was, but I didnt see the ground inside the frame rail on the right. I'll check that out this weekend. Thanks man, I appreciate it very much!

danc5,

If you still have an issue with no brake lights on one side after checking your wires, I think I can help. Just spent way too much time troubleshooting a similar issue with no brake lights except the center high mount. I have a pretty good understanding now.

Dale

Help needed!

danc5,

If you still have an issue with no brake lights on one side after checking your wires, I think I can help. Just spent way too much time troubleshooting a similar issue with no brake lights except the center high mount. I have a pretty good understanding now.

Dale

Hi Dale, I still have the issue, I'd greatly appreciate if you could let me know what and where the problem was in your case.

danc5,

My problem turned out to be the hazard switch as neither of my R or L brake lights worked, only the middle light. If you have a voltage tester, locate the large plug at the base of the steering colume that connects to the muti-function switch. (turn signal, headlights, cruise control etc). On one end of the connector locate the brown wire, there should be a white on the opposite side of the connector. The white or the brown should have battery voltage when the brake is applied. I suspect that you will since one side of your brake lights work. Next to the brown wire you will see a green wire and a yellow wire. The green goes to the right side stop lamps, the yellow to the left side. When the brake is applied, both the yellow and the green should read battery voltage. If one or the other does not then the problem is likely in the mutifunction switch. This switch cancels the brake light when the turn signal is on. Not bad to change out but absolutely expensive.

Dale

Thanks Guys!!!

I truly appreciate the responses and wiring info and diagrams. You guys are all alright in my book! Hope I can repay the favors some day. I wont get a chance to troubleshoot and work on my baby until saturday, But I'll let you know what I find and I'll document it in case anyone else has the same problem.

Cheers!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom