Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pertronix

That doesn't seem too bad to me Lou but I'm flying blind on these things too. Considering what the Richmond 6 speed cost Ken and that this one is supposed to fit he stock shifter hole I'm thinking it is the way to go.

I Guess

Considering the shifter alone goes for almost $300, it's not a bad price. I'm trying to convince myself the life it will give my engine and mileage alone is worth it. I have some more investigating to do. I'm going to contact a gentleman I met at Carlisle this year that deals with 3, 4, and 5 speeds and get his opinion. Research and more research. Guess I'll have to get the stuff out of the basement and start selling on eBay. 13 more months and NO MORE MORTGAGE!!!!!!

The relative location of 57 and 62 shifter holes (all 55 to 62 with standard transmission) should be the same. Any 3 or 4-speed for a Corvette through 65 will work from 56 to 65. Later Muncie and T10 transmissions should work with the early type shifter.

I would love to install a 6-speed with overdrive but they require cutting. I talked to a man with a 56 and a T56 six speed. They had to cut down the frame X member and redo the fiberglass hump because of size and shifter location. But he loved it.

Verle

5 Speed is All I Want

I don't want to go through all that and to be honest, I've ridden in 6 speeds and in MY opinion, it's just not for me. You're the ONLY one I've found so far that's done this swap. So in other words Verle, you're saying that the trans you have in your 57 will fit in my 62 no problem? Is there a model # for the trans & shifter you have? I know there's different ratio's but the more research I do, it seems the more I get confused between Richmond, Tremic & Doug Nash. I did as I said, find a dealer (aftermarket) with a street Doug Nash and Hurst comp. shifter for $2350 + shipping and handling around $100. I just want to make sure WITHOUT a doubt, that this will bolt up without any frame or body mods (interior). I understand I will have to make a cross member and have a drive shaft made. I can't locate any exploded views of a Doug Nash and a T10 with dimensions, height, width, length, shifter etc. I have a spare T10 so I can easily take measurements off of it but so far, the illusive Doug Nash 5 speed is not available to me in picture. There's tons of Tremic pictures around but that doesn't help me any. Another thing confusing me is the 5th gear ratio, Summit shows it as a 1.1 which is what a typical 4 speed is, so what's the advantage of a 5th gear if the ratio's the same?

I had a Tremac T56 6-speed that I really wanted to install but after laying it beside a 4-speed and making measurements, it was quickly obvious the T56 would not fit without significant modification. If it would fit without modifying the frame I may have considered it. To do it right I would have removed the body from the frame, removed the top half of the X member about 8" wide and boxed it back in. Then, cut the tunnel (hump) from the fiber glass and make a new one.
The T56 shifter is five or six inches back of the stock location and in the middle, not offset. The top of the transmission is straight, not tapered down like the 4-speed tail shaft housing so it will hit the inside of the tunnel.

I ended up trading the T56 for my Doug Nash 5-speed after comparing it to a 4-speed.

I have not actually set a Richmond Gear 5 or 6-speed next to a 4-speed but the dimensions on their drawings suggest to me the tranmission body is longer than the Doug Nash 5-speed. I think the rear mount is farther back and the shifter is farther back on the Richmond.

The Doug Nash 5-speed is a close fit. I don't think the Richmond 6-speed will fit without cutting and I think the Richmond 5-speed uses the same case as the 6-speed. Maybe I am wrong about that, I have not asked Richmond that specific question.

To install the Doug Nash, take off the fan, unbolt the front mount and move the engine forward as much as possible to provide room. It is tight but will fit. (Did I just repeat myself? ;) )

I don't have the numbers off the transmission at hand. I will have to jack the car up and get them. The shifter is a Hurst. It looks very similar to Hurst 4-speed shifters. It has the same number of levers but reverse is shift lever to the right and back; a function of the transmission.
Shift pattern:
1 3 5
2 4 R

So, in weasel worded answer to your question, yes, my Doug Nash 5-speed will fit your 62 without cutting anything. We just have to make sure you get the right Doug Nash.

The advantage of the 5-speed is it has a very low first gear so I can run a 3.08 rearend and first gear still feels like a 4.56 rear end with a close ratio 4-speed. Actually, If I could find a 2.73 rearend I would install it. Unfortunately 3.08 is the highest gear available for our cars.

Now, if is switched to a 9"......

You say you located a dealer with a street Doug Nash. Ask him to send you the measurements for the rear mount and shifter mount from the bellhousing surface. Those may not be an exact match for the 4-speed but should be very close, within 1/2 inch or so. Also, ask the dealer what the 1st gear ratio is. I have the 3.27 (some people call it a 3.26) 1st gear.

Verle

Thanks

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone today with Richmond gear tech. support. There's no way I can put a 5 spd. in unless I change the rear to at least a 3:08 and I just last year rebuilt this 4:11 posi. The tech kept telling me the case on a 6 spd. is the same as a 5 and will fit anywhere a 5 will, but the tail section is longer. The Richmond is also the same as a Nash, case wise. The 6 comes with a Long shifter for about $3000, and would allow me to keep the 4:11 with a .68 overdrive, but 5th gear is also a semi overdrive, and not meant to be power shifted like 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. So, if I ever ran the 1/4 mile, I'd have to use 5th or I'd run outa of RPM's before the end of the 1/4. The cross member mount is about 2 1/2" back from the 4 spd., and the 1st gear ratio is the same. So, I thank you very much for your time and advice, but for now, this project is on hold. I do have a 3:08 rear, housing and all, I may decide to do the swap next winter, we'll see how the $$$ is. Decisions, damn it.

Thanks Again Verle

I'll probably leave the 3.36s in mine too. You get decent highway rpm with them and a 355 or 383 would pull them easy.

I am planning to drive my 57 to Bowling Green for the 2003 Anniversary celebration next June.

Is anyone else planning to attend?

Verle

We are planning to use most of our vacation going out to AZ to visit the wife's mother. My son will be off to college next year so this may be our last chance to go together. I hope to be able to attend the SACC convention in Flint. I can commute to that one.

Tom

I went to the August SACC convention in Salinas, it was great to attend it and all the other events around the Historic Races at Laguna Seca.

I don't yet know if I will be able to make it to Flint.

Verle

I Want To But.......

I have a lot of events I "want" to attend this next year. There's so much going on though, Flint, Bowling Green, Carlisle. I have the vacation time coming but I'll have to see how it goes as time comes up to each event. I will be driving the 62 to any or all of what I do attend, it's just a matter of pulling the 4:11 out and putting the 3:08 in, a couple of hours work. I'm sure as time goes by, there will be plenty posted in here to organize and get together at these history making gatherings.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom