Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

phil uk

madmoon

Corvette
1984 corvette coupe, black
phil uk gearbox change for my 84

Hi there, i am phil a new member from the uk. I need a bit of advice regarding my standard corvette coupe on a 1984 plate. I am restoring her slowly and would really like to install a manual shift gearbox to replacethe tired old auto box that is in at the moment. i have enough knowledge to do this job but not enough knowledge of the corvette itself to know if the same gearbox mounts can be used and if a pedal box and master cylinder can be fitted without too much cutting and chopping. could anyone give me any pointers on this please. thanks .

The only transmission mount on these is the C-beam, which supports it at the rear. Other than that, you'll just need to find a transmission and the other necessary parts from a manual '84-'88 Corvette. However, if you want to use the '89 and up 6-speed, some other adaptation is required and I don't know all of the specifics of that. The 4+3 manual transmissions used in the early C4s can be a bit troublesome and expensive to repair. This and the logistics of your location might make one of the aftermarket 5-speed change-overs designed for these early cars your best option. You'll still need a donor car for the other required parts though.

thanks very much for that, it has helped confirm some of my questions. i am learning about the car as i go and enjoying slowly seeing it come together. once again thanks. phil, uk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom