Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

picking it up today 1973 vette

TAKE IT TO THE PRO'S. IT'S PROBABLY SOMETHING MINOR BUT IF YOU TAKE THE CARB APART AND CAN'T GET IT BACK TOGETHER THEN IT WILL BE $$$$$$$$$$$. GOOD LUCK.

TAKE IT TO THE PRO'S. IT'S PROBABLY SOMETHING MINOR BUT IF YOU TAKE THE CARB APART AND CAN'T GET IT BACK TOGETHER THEN IT WILL BE $$$$$$$$$$$. GOOD LUCK.
yes you guys are right i will make some calls monday i will post some pics tonight but its time to watch the bears

Doesn't sound like water in the gas to me. Could be your timing is way off or carb flooding like others have said.

Time to do some basic troubleshooting.
i fulled a jar with gas and it looks ok,, i put a HEI in my 66 impala the 73 does not have HEI i dont have a dwell meter or timing light anymore and working on getting service books there is a cable on the back of distributor its not connected what is it for . thanks again

Bruce, saw your vette on corvette action center and I like the white , what color is the white. I have a 72 and want to paint it, thanks Bob.

Bruce, saw your vette on corvette action center and I like the white , what color is the white. I have a 72 and want to paint it, thanks Bob.
i dont think you guys have the wrong guy my 75 was goldish my 73 is blue

Don't be afraid to take apart that Edelbrock carb.Just take the screws out of the top and disconnect the little clip(it's very easy to lose,be careful)and pull the top off.You don't even have to take the carb off the car.You will be suprised how much dirt and gunk can be in there.Make it as clean as you can and hopefully might solve your problem.

Chevy6675, your right Bobfil was sending question/email to me. My 73 is white. Sorry for the crossover on your thread. E-mail sent.

Don't be afraid to take apart that Edelbrock carb.Just take the screws out of the top and disconnect the little clip(it's very easy to lose,be careful)and pull the top off.You don't even have to take the carb off the car.You will be suprised how much dirt and gunk can be in there.Make it as clean as you can and hopefully might solve your problem.
thank you was not sure if any would pop up springs/floats whetever is under if its take top off and clean and no surprises thanks i think i will empty tank first it looks like the pick up hole is on bottom my 75 was on top looks like i could empty with out taking tank out right

that would explain why the tach is not working i tryed to put it on but its like the distributer is turned to far
I'd be checking your timing chain and gears!! This could be your Running problem!! As timing chain and gears ware, cam timing will fall behind crankshaft!!!Some mechanics will run the timing up to keep them running for while to keep from having to replace them!! Put a timing light on it and see if the timing is advanced and inconsistent!!!(Also it is possible for the Ignition timing to be correct with a light but cam timing can be falling behind!! Depends on a couple different scenarios!!) If so Bingo, you probly found your problem!!! Tach cable can be a dead give away sometimes,because you can only move the distributer 5-6 deg either direction with the cable attached to it!!!:upthumbs

PS Vettehead Mikey is 100% correct about the block stamping between SB and BB!! Sorry for the mis-conception!! My Bad, duh :duhwhat was I think'n!!!;shrug:chuckle:chuckle

I'd be checking your timing chain and gears!! This could be your Running problem!! As timing chain and gears ware, cam timing will fall behind crankshaft!!!Some mechanics will run the timing up to keep them running for while to keep from having to replace them!! Put a timing light on it and see if the timing is advanced and inconsistent!!!(Also it is possible for the Ignition timing to be correct with a light but cam timing can be falling behind!! Depends on a couple different scenarios!!) If so Bingo, you probly found your problem!!! Tach cable can be a dead give away sometimes,because you can only move the distributer 5-6 deg either direction with the cable attached to it!!!:upthumbs

PS Vettehead Mikey is 100% correct about the block stamping between SB and BB!! Sorry for the mis-conception!! My Bad, duh :duhwhat was I think'n!!!;shrug:chuckle:chuckle
ok thanks guys

I would be careful with the tach cable. It may be disconected because the shaft gears are worn. If you grease it up it should go into the distributor with no problem. If it does not go in easily don't force it the teeth should mesh together with little effort no matter . It may not work of the shaft gear is worn but you will be able to tell that as soon as you hook it up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom