Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pics of my "new" 78 Pace Car

Thanks guys. BTW, got my wheels back and they look brand new! One even had a little curb rash and they were even able to buff that out. Cost was $125/wheel, way less than buying repro's! If anybody wants the info on the place that did them, send me a PM.

Awesome! Congratulations on your addition.

One of the best Pace Cars :upthumbs

GerryLP:cool

Picked it up a couple weeks ago, and today was a nice day so I took a few pics. 37000 miles, body in great shape. Gonna work on the interior this winter, and start detailing the engine. Rims need to be restored and pinstriped as well. But I LOVE it! Always wanted a PC, it was actually the first Vette I ever drove.

Looks great. Mine has 35000 miles and has a turbocharger. It develops 275 HP at the rear wheels. I will be working on my wheels as well this winter.

CharlieM

Can you give me an address or a phone number of the place that restored your wheels?

CharlieM

Nice car

I sent you a PM to get the name and such for the wheel work.

I bought my PC last March and love it. I get more "Cool car" , thumbs up, and such than I get in my Z-06. I also won several C-3 classes with it this past summer. I love looking out across that long hood:D.

:w H.D.

Good looking car HD! Yep, I also have an 04 Coup, and the PC definitely gets more attention!

HD,

Hub Cap and Wheel Store
2810 S. 44th Street
Kansas City, KS 66106

I understand it is $125 per wheel.

CharlieM

HD,

Hub Cap and Wheel Store
2810 S. 44th Street
Kansas City, KS 66106

I understand it is $125 per wheel.

CharlieM

Thanks Charle. I'll give them a call.

The wheels on mine are not in that bad of shape. But, if these guys can make them look like new than I'll go for it. This will be a winter job since I'd have to leave the car on jack stands while the wheels are bring done.

:w
H.D.

For those of you wondering, here's a pic wth the restored wheels on:
wheels3.jpg

Beautiful Vette!
Did you know that the 78 PC was the ONLY year Chevy offered silver leather interior?

I had one and wish I never sold it!

For those of you wondering, here's a pic wth the restored wheels on:
wheels3.jpg

"...blinded by the light..."

Those look great - mine don't look near that good after an hour of elbow grease and never dull.

PS - how do you like the Dunlops?

PPS - My 78 PC is the same as yours - I have the flying tire logo on the rear panel, but not the decals on the doors (they're in a box in the basement). I like the look like that. Maybe someday if I re-paint it I'll consider putting on the door decals, but that's a long way off.

Man, those do look good. I spent 2 days on mine and they don't look anywhere near that good.

At first, I did not like the decals on mine. I think the decals are what cause many people to really look at the car.

I was leaving a car show one day this past summer with mine, and had a guy come running up to me and asked if in fact my car was the pace car. I told him no it is a replica of the pace car. There are only 3 original PCs. One is at the Indy museum, one was given to the guest who drove that PC, and the other was given to the driver who won the race that year.

OBTW, who was the driver that won the Indy 500 that year?

H.D.

PS - how do you like the Dunlops?

PPS - My 78 PC is the same as yours - I have the flying tire logo on the rear panel, but not the decals on the doors (they're in a box in the basement). I like the look like that. Maybe someday if I re-paint it I'll consider putting on the door decals, but that's a long way off.

The Dunlops are actually pretty good tires so far, nice ride and handling. The previous owner put them on right before I bought it, but I think I'll stick with them.

Regarding the decals, I also have the door decals in a box. I just prefer the look of the car without them. But either way, the PC's turn heads!

OBTW, who was the driver that won the Indy 500 that year?

H.D.

That's an easy one - Al Unser.

That's an easy one - Al Unser.

BINGO:beer . From what I hear he still has the car. I'd like to know who the grand marshall was that year and got the other PC. Anyone know?

I guess knowing this tid-bit of info goes along with owning a PC or just being a plain Corvette lover.

H.D.

I'd like to know who the grand marshall was that year and got the other PC. Anyone know?
H.D.

Found it. The driver of the PC in '78 was Jim Rathmann. He won the 1960 Indy 500 and owned a Chevy dealership. He was the driver of a bunch of PCs during the late '60s and thru the '70s.

H.D.

Cool

I was there in 1978, leading a group of 20 Corvette owners from Canada to the race, and then on to tour the plant in St. Louis.

Good times, in ol' Indiana. We even enjoyed Jim Nabors singing, "Back Home Again in Indiana". ;)

Here's all the pace car drivers.
http://www.indy500.com/modules/pdf/stats/Pace Car.pdf

I bet that was a good time. I wish I could have been there. In May of '78 I was 6 months out of the Navy driving over-the-road truck. Didn't have a care in the world. Every time a vette would pass me I would say to myself "one day I'll own one". Now I've got 3:L.

Thanks for the link. I saved it for historical value.

H.D.

Beautiful Vette...the wheels look fantastic as well. Congrats!!

Cheers,

Joe

PS. Jim Rathmann has two Chevy dealerships down here where I live. One in Melbourne and one in Palm Bay, FL. I believe his son runs them now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom