Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Picture Request: After market /modified hoods

S

sfakins

I am looking to replace the hood on my 81 Vette -- stock hood will no longer fit with current engine modifications. Does any body have pictures of after market or modified hoods which are installed on a Vette? If so, would you mine posting them? I can find aftermarket hoods on sites like Ecklers; however, I seem to have trouble visualizing them on the Vette. I am sure there are many members would be interested in looking at such modifications.

Thanks,
Steve

Heres my modified hood on my 73 that i made.I took the factory cowl hood and cut it and raised it to get the clearance i needed with previous motor.My brother is in the process of doing an 81 hood on his also.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/patsvette/hood.html

1388Monza_Lights_Vette_003.jpg

L88 75 Stringray

clar2001

Nice Vette I hope to use that hood on mine, but if it looked as good as yours I would be afraid to drive it.
Craig sr

Thanks Craig Sr.
I drive it Just carefull were I leave it .

The L-88 hoods really looks Fine on the C-3s!

Clar2001,

You sure do have a nice looking Vette! I have never been a fan of the fixed headlights on the C3s, but yours really looks nice!

Aussie,

Nice vette! I understand the flares are factory originals, is the hood also original? Is that your trailer? I like the flooring in it.

Bill

Bill Tks
I regreat getting rid of the stock headlights ,one had a proplem and I diden't like all the vacum lines .

It's the after market Hood that really changes the look of the car.

plus I needed the hood clearence had to cut a hole in the stock one .
Stock 350 with some extras Edelbrock intake carb/ 400 trans

Aussie sweet ride comes with its own checkered garage!

I'd like to give a healthy thanks to everyone who replied. This gives me some idea of what I can do with my 81 Vette. I've been working on the restoration for about 1 1/2 years now and its really starting to shape up. This has been a long and enjoyable journey. Hope to be able to fire her up by the end of the month. Just got to make the final decision on what hood to use before I can take it on the road.

Just a little about what she has:
81 Vette - Black
T-Tops
Stripped down to last wire and painted - inside and out
Replaced all window/door seals - GM OEM only
New interior - carpet, seat, console & dash (what a pain that dash was)
140mph speedodometer
Pioneer DEH-P7500MP CD-receiver (had to modify center consol to fit)
XM Radio - mounted behind passenger seat - out of view

383 ci - 478hp @6200rpm - showroom engine with:
Canfield heads - 2.05I, 1.90E, 64cc - 80% polished
Edelbrock Air Grap RPM - polished
Holley Advenger 770cmf - polished
March serpitine pully kit w/polished AC, water pump and alternater
Ceramic headers
2 1/2" dual exhaush w/Flowmaster 50
Be Cool Radiator - polished
Cam - hydrollic roller
700R4 trans - level III from Bowtie
3.53:1 rear-end
Killer electric headlights
Braided heater/radiator hoses

Once again,
Thanks to all,
Steve

Steve
Wow what a list of mods any money left for the hood.
Its a continus project almost a year for me & a long ways to go.
When you do your hood be sure to come back & post a pic.

steve
March serpitine pully kit w/polished AC, water pump and alternater
How do you like it, was it any problems to install and did you need a reverse rotation water pump?
you will love the 383
Craig sr

Bossvette,

The serpentine system from March was pretty much a plug and play install. But, like with any aftermarket modification you will run into a few problems. As far as the water pump, yes it is CCW. An 84' vette water pump will work fine. I bought the SB Front Mount Serpentine Conversion Kit (March part# 20260). It came with water pump, GM Type II power steering, tensioner, polished 140 amp alternater, polished AC and all hardware (including screws, bolts and brackets). The polished covers provided by March made the whole system look nice except for the water pump. I went ahead and spent the extra money and bought an Edelbrock high flow polished water pump for an 84' Vette. You can get less expensive ones; however, because I am not running a fan off the water pump along with putting out 487hp I didn't want heating problems. To help with cooling I also installed a Be-Cool radiator (polished) with twin 11" electric turbo fans (polished) and a 160 degree thermostate. The only additionional items you need to purchase is a 62" 6-rib belt and the remote resevoir (chrome of course). The only problems I had with the installation is as follows:

1. One of the water pump bolts had to be cut down 1/4" - or replaced.
2. The 3 screws attaching the AC plate to the AC were 1/4" too long - replaced with chrome screws.
3. Use your old PS pressure line and reverse the angle on the line at the PS side by 135 degrees.
4. Had to get the remaining PS lines made - prices for line at March are way over priced. 5. Also had to get the AC lines made. March provides chrome fittings for the AC in the kit. I used the fittings off the old AC lines for the other end and had braided lines made. Looks sharp.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Steve

sfakins & BossVette,

You may want to consider running an extra groove pulley off your engine. The problem I ran into was that I was spinning belts off my pulleys when I'd go from full throttle to full brake, as you might do when...oohhh, say you are travelling at excessive speeds then come upon a cop. You can see pics of my my triple pulley setup in my pics section, link under my signature. Basically, what I have is redundant belts going to my water pump. In the event I do spin a belt off, I'll only lose my accessories, and not my water pump.

sfakins, How you likin' that 700R4 Level 3 from Bowtie? I was supposed to buy that exact trans from them this year, but I ended up buying a house instead. I was really really looking forward to having the 700R4 this year. But now I have to wait until next year :-( How noticable is that new first gear ratio? Figure going from a 3.08 to a 3.73 should really be noticable on the butt-dyno! Did you get the shift linkage as well to show the 1-2-3-4 on the shift gate?

matchframe said:
The L-88 hoods really looks Fine on the C-3s!

Clar2001,

You sure do have a nice looking Vette! I have never been a fan of the fixed headlights on the C3s, but yours really looks nice!

Aussie,

Nice vette! I understand the flares are factory originals, is the hood also original? Is that your trailer? I like the flooring in it.

Bill

nah they aren't original factory... they may be original though :) I was mistaken at first... I have to look into it more.

The hood is not original, but I need it as the air filter pops up pretty high (I can see it from the drivers seat about 1" from the top of the bonnet scoop).

That isn't my trailer, but I can find out information about it if you'd like from the owner (my car's previous owner :)).

edit: bonnet = hood :)

AussieWithFlared69 said:
nah they aren't original factory... they may be original though :) I was mistaken at first... I have to look into it more.
There are people on here that could tell you for sure, but I'm pretty positive that the flares were only "factory" additions on the ZL1, which has a production run of....2.

That scoop is :cool ! Where did you get the scoop, what brand, etc. Thanks for the info, Mike

Evolution1980 said:
There are people on here that could tell you for sure, but I'm pretty positive that the flares were only "factory" additions on the ZL1, which has a production run of....2.

It is true that L88 cars came with flares in the luggage compartment, and Aussie's website site seems to confirm that other J-56 cars also came with flares. However, Aussie, your flares are not factory originals, as they were much wider than yours, and they blended into the body with a curve that tucked under the body. My flares are replicas of the factory flares, and I believe Aussies are from Eckler's or some other similar aftermarket manufacturer.

In order to not hijack this thread, I vote L88 hood, long style, to eliminate the wiper door, if so equipped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom