Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pictures of Cragar Rims

Tod

Corvette
1965 Rally Red Coupe
Hi Guy's;

I am thinking about purchasing Crager chrome rims for my red 65' coupe. However, I did a thread search and found lot's of posts on this subject, but I could not open any of the pictures. Can someone please post pictures of their mid-year with (old style) Crager chrome rims? It sure would be helpful and I would appreciate it very much. I will be installing radial white letter tires with the rims. I think it will look great!

I may sell the 67' Ralley wheels and red line tires that are now on the car that the previous owner installed.

Thanks
Tod

Tod said:
Hi Guy's;

I am thinking about purchasing Crager chrome rims for my red 65' coupe. However, I did a thread search and found lot's of posts on this subject, but I could not open any of the pictures. Can someone please post pictures of their mid-year with (old style) Crager chrome rims? It sure would be helpful and I would appreciate it very much. I will be installing radial white letter tires with the rims. I think it will look great!

I may sell the 67' Ralley wheels and red line tires that are now on the car that the previous owner installed.

Thanks
Tod

Not a midyear, but here goes:

62drside.jpg

Here's one I photographed at the Wildwood NJ car show. Not old style Cragar's but you'll get the visual.

There are other wheels to consider.:D

From Maple Grove Raceway.

I'm interested in the rally's and tires if you want to sell them. PM me with details.

EBVette said:
Hey Muttley...you a COASTIE, you stationed at air base?

No, I'm actually former Navy (5 yrs. active, 15 Reserve). I officially retired last summer, which I'm still having a hard time believing.

That decal was from when I lived in California--I used to work on the car at Coast Guard Station Alameda, which has a great auto hobby shop. (The Coast Guard MWR facilities were almost always better than the Navy ones!)

Vette66AirCoupe said:
There are other wheels to consider.:D

From Maple Grove Raceway.

hmm, there is something about that car that doesn't look 100% stock but I can't seem to pinpoint just what it is......
;LOL

are those Centerline wheels on that car?

Vette66AirCoupe said:
Here's one I photographed at the Wildwood NJ car show. Not old style Cragar's but you'll get the visual.

I like those American Racing Torque Thrusters.. However I'm biased as that's what I have on my car... Here is a pic of a 65 coupe that parked next to me last year at a show....
66wcragars.jpg

Tod said:
Hi Guy's;

Thanks
Tod

15x7 Crager's (with spinners) with 215/65/15 Eagle GT's.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5909

Thanks for all the pic's; all the cars look great! I was able to get the 65' out today for a short drive....WOW! I forgot how great that feels. Come on spring and summer.

Tod

Cragars

Hey MUTTLEY can you provide me some specifics on what size tires and wheels (including back spacing) that you used? I want to put Cragars on my 61 and would appreciate the info. Larry

Larry Shermak said:
Hey MUTTLEY can you provide me some specifics on what size tires and wheels (including back spacing) that you used? I want to put Cragars on my 61 and would appreciate the info. Larry

Larry:

Those are 15x7s--however, they have a custom backspacing (4 3/8 in., instead of the standard 4 1/8 in.). The tires are P-215-70-R15. This combo seems to fit under the rear fender lip, and the inner sidewall is about 3/8 in. from the leaf spring (probably about as close as I'd go). In the front, I get a slight rub against the inner fender well, about 1/4 of a turn before full steering lock, but that's mainly a parking lot issue.

I bought these wheels several years ago, and they were just a bit of a hassle to order. Although they manufacture wheels with custom offsets, Cragar apparently does not deal directly with retail customers. I tried Summitt, but they didn't carry (and wouldn't order) the custom ones. I got quotes from several dealers, and they were all over the map--some were really outrageous. I finally ordered the wheels through a Big O Tire store in San Francisco (where I was living at the time), and I think I paid about $140 each (Summitt price at the time for the standard wheels was $107). So, if you go this route, I'd say be patient and shop around.

When all was said and done, the standard-offset 15x7 wheels may have worked OK; all I really accomplished was moving the tires inboard by 1/4 in. I'm glad I did it though...I think it looks just a little more tucked in, and the safety margin for the bodywork is a little better.

Is that your car in your avatar? If so, it looks like you have plenty of room in your wheel wells!

-David

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom