Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

pinion leak

madvette74

I my car use to leak very little oil from the rear end, I had it rebuilt many years ago. last year I didn't drive it at all.. now I am getting it ready for spring, and moved the car out of the garage and noticed the rear end is big time leaking now, just moving it 15 ft made a puddle.. I see the oil, it looks like it's coming from the pinion seal, not sure but it's in the area of the support bracket bushing... can I replace the seal without removing the rear end?
thanks in advance........

LVMYVT76

Corvette
1976 medium blue
I replaced mine before. Take out driveshaft, get air gun and take off pinion yoke, replace seal and put everything back together. The air gun is a must to break the pinion nut loose.

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
BEFORE you remove the pinion flange nut, mark it and make a note of where the mark is oriented; you'll need to know that when you re-install it. Also, be sure and pack the recess in the flange (at the end of the splines) below the nut and washer with Permatex #2 before you put the nut and washer on, or it'll leak through the splines.

:beer

madvette74

thanks guys...
I got an air gun.. so after this snow we just got melts, I am going to get into it..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom