Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pinion Seal Leak

IIXVIV

Corvette
65 coupe/04 CE Z06
Is there a trick to keep the pinion seal from leaking after replacing the seal. I replaced it a couple of months ago and again it is leaking.

Thanks Mike M

Words once given to me by a wise man ..... Hopefully, you would have had the 1963 shop manual and read the procedure before starting! ATTENTION: to marking the clock position of the pinion nut so it could can be reinstalled to the same position .... and ... sealing the pinion/companion flange splines. ALSO... pinion seal leaks deteriorate the front mounting cushions, so they should be replaced.
After not paying attention myself :mad to what was told to me (twice).... I gave up and paid $ 175.00 and had it done right. I was tired of the leak ( and I bet you know what I mean):upthumbs

Good Luck !! ... Ed

Mike, Clean it good and drive it enough to see where it is coming out. Sometimes the flange has such a bad groove, it wont seal. Also the area where the seal seats in the housing may he pitted and leaking, add some sealer to the outside edge of the seal. Last place is the splines, they need a little sealer put on them before you put the flange on. You can add a little sealer under the pinion nut washer... As stated prior... Make sure you mark the pinion, nut and flange, BEFORE you take apart.. Then just line them up when going together. If you failed to mark them the first time you replaced the seal, your up a creek...You will have gear whine, or eat up pinion bearings... The pinion preload will have to be set correct. The axle will have to come apart... If your flange is grooved bad, try to sand the groove out. You may have to replace the flange.. Good luck..

Pulled the rear end and it appears the leak is not from the seal but from the nut via the washer and splines. I guess a little permatex on the splines should fix the problem.

Pack the entire recessed area under the washer with Permatex #2 - they didn't bother to put that note in the Shop Manual until 1969.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom