Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! Pissed-Off !! Power Steering Valve Rebuild Kit

krscholz

Corvette
75 Corvette Coupe, 383 Stroker
Have you considered which kit to buy when rebuilding your power steering valve? The prices are all over the place and each kit is different. Don't make the mistake I did. Recently, I purchased a valve rebuild kit from Corvette Central. I thought that buying the more expensive kit would include all that I needed. I was wrong :nono. As I later learned, the kit was missing some key parts (I.e., rubber seals and rubber washers). If you're rebuilding a hydraulic value of this nature, what's the sense if you don't have new seals? This was, of course my mistake and I shouldn’t have trusted Corvette Central. Make sure you don’t make the same mistake and check to make sure that your kit has all the components you will need as rebuilding the valve is not easy and you don’t want to waste your time doing it again for a couple minor items.

There were 2 kits required to rebuild a control valve. The cost shot through the roof on the quality kits to the point I wouldn't bother rebuilding them anymore. Buying an exchange valve is a crap shoot as well, even some of the new valves are bad although that is usually the route to take with them.

the kit was missing some key parts

I remember dealing with the same issues- missing parts-when rebuilding carburetors.

That sort of thing drives me nuts too.

Perhaps you should send a professional, well written letter to Corvette Central and let them know their kit was missing parts?

Chances are they'd appreciate the feedback on the quality of the kit they are reselling.
:upthumbs

Either way- good luck & I feel your pain!

I've had good luck with rebuilt control valves from Lone Star; they've been rebuilding them for many years.

:beer

Corvette Central Steps Up to he Problem

Corvette Central got in touch with me and admitted that their kit has a problem and that they are looking into. This is nice to see in a world where "customer service" has for most companies gone to hell in a hand basket. I'm glad that I didn't have to press one for english - or was that 2, oh just forgetta bout it and hang up? Thank you CC. :w

My control valve rebuild experience...

Hi All,
Just saw this thread and thought I should share my experiences.

When I purchased my 1968 convertible this summer, the previous owner had the power steering pump and hoses disconnected which made it steer like a truck. After hooking up the new hoses I discovered why they were left off: the control valve leaked badly. I purchased the hydraulic and ball valve rebuild kits from Corvette Central and my 13 year old son helped me rebuild it. It took us two days but it worked fine. After rebuilding we discovered that we were missing the dust cover so we ordered a replacement. All told, it seems that three separate items are required for a rebuild. I prefer this over lots of "extra" parts laying around. Ultimately the success of the rebuild will depend on patients and the quality of the core.

My experiences with Corvette Central is that they are prompt, courteous and willing to work with you to get things right. Only people that don't do anything don't make mistakes. It's those that keep making the same mistakes without improvement that I have no patients with. For now, I'm sticking with Corvette Central.

Jabby

I'm sticking with them.

I agree Corvette Central is great to work with. They admitted their problem and are working on a solution and even gave me a credit that I used towards another item. They have my vote.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom