Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pitman Arm

Space Cowboy

Corvette
1968 Convertible - Candy Apple - 427/475+
I've read several threads about issues people have had about pulling the pitman arm off the steering box link. However, no one ever said anything about the lack of space to work with. I have a 68 and the freek'in frame is right in the way and I can't use a pitman arm puller I got from autozone. It was way too tall to get it positioned in to pull. I've also tried a pickle fork to wedge it off, but I have the same issue... not enough working room. This sucker is on tight!

My only thought is to remove the link from the streeing box, then use the puller, but I know its impacted on. I would have to buy a compressor and impact wrench to get it off... I don't feel like putting that much money into a single project.

Any suggestions?

Are you trying to remove the pitman arm from the steering gear sector shaft (big 1-5/16" nut), or trying to separate the other end of the pitman arm from the steering relay rod stud or P/S control valve stud?

:beer

Acutally, I have to correct myself. I'm not pulling the pitman arm off. I pulling the control valve stud as you've stated. I spoke with the company I bought the control valve from and they stated I need to use a tie rod fork rather than a joint fork. They said it should pop right off... we'll see!

Bought a tie rod fork... going to try it this weekend.

Be sure you remember to catalog and notate everything. HINTS: place a mark on stationary portion and rotating portion of the steering rod BEFORE you disconnect the rag joint. Also count the number threads exposed on each tie rod before disconnecting.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom