Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Plant Tours...

I don't know, but my guess is that it will be awhile. The plant has to learn how to make the new car while incorporating a bunch of new employees and expanding production. All that will be harder with gawkers, even friendly gawkers.

I keep trying to book plant tours the last week of August this year and they keep getting rejected.

I keep trying to book plant tours the last week of August this year and they keep getting rejected.

I've been waiting to get in on the friends and family tour for awhile now....that usually precedes the general public tours. Haven't heard any speculation even when that might happen......as catbert said, they are still working out production challenges :w

Plant tours

I have been calling and no one answers the phone. Was told that tours would be scheduled starting late August. I was also told from a reliable source that the plant does not set the tours up but an outside company they hired does it.

The decision to start tours again will be up to the plant manager. I'd still guess it will be at least a month or two before the all the dust settles. They still have to get the Wixom operations settled at some point or another.

Last edited:
According to Dave Tatman, BGAP manager, tours for those purchasing a new Corvette and the NCM delivery will get to tour the plant beginning Sept 30. The public tours will not begin until the plant personnel have mastered the build process. Tatman said that they want every C7 to be perfect and cannot risk distractions from the public. No date has been set by BGAP for the public tours to begin. One can check the NCM web page or BGAP web site periodically to determine when the tours will open to the public. I am sure that Rob will post any announcement on the CAC. My brother (an NCM Ambassador) and I were two of the fortunate 250 who toured the plant on June 28 and watched the C7s being built (possibly mules). Red Vette thought the torch red C7s were awesome.

The above message was typed by my much older brother, Red Vette.

Birdman18

What is the Wixom operation

Wixom Michigan is where some of the LS3's and all of the LS7's and LS9's were hand assembled for the Grand Sports (6M Coupes) and the Z06's and ZR1's. They have moved that operation down to Bowling Green and have incorporated it into the plant........but it is not operational yet and I really don't know what engines they will be building since there is no Z's at this time or GS's........hmmmmm

Wixom Michigan is where some of the LS3's and all of the LS7's and LS9's were hand assembled for the Grand Sports (6M Coupes) and the Z06's and ZR1's. They have moved that operation down to Bowling Green and have incorporated it into the plant........but it is not operational yet and I really don't know what engines they will be building since there is no Z's at this time or GS's........hmmmmm

They are for sure producing the power plants for the COPO, ZL, and Z28 Camaros. Maybe the Caddy Vs also. The hiatus for the Corvette Zs are a convenient time to get the operation ready for volume production at BG. Could there be a method to GM's madness?

Thanks for the answer, however it would be nice if someone would answer the phone or they could put out a time table and update as needed. We have a group going next year on the Caravan and a plant tour would be great.

Plant tours will long have been resumed by the time of the 2014 Caravan.

As for the Wixom Operation...that's the "Performance Build Center".

GM announced at the beginning of the year, the "PBC" would close in October and move to Bowling Green Assembly.

Currently, PBC builds engines for the Camaro drag racing program, it builds a few crate engines for Chevrolet Performance and it's building (or built) the LS7s for the 2014 Camaro Z28.

At one time, the PBC built LS3 dry sump engines for Grand Sports, LS7s for C6 Z06es and LS9s for C6 ZR1s. That all ended about a year ago.

No Cadillac-V engines have been built by PBC since the XLR-V ceased production.

The PBC is said to be reopening in B.G. in Q1 or Q2 of 2014.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom