Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

plastic clearcoat removal help!!!

Z

zrtwooo

I've looked for a link or thread to find out what to do about the clearcoat on my 88's wheels peeling. I want to strip it and spend the time to polish but not sure how to get it off. Any help would be great!
thx
Mike;shrug

I stripped mine years ago with regular stripper from Home depot,speaking of stripper nice avatar.

you mean a paint stripper? I've heard of the aircraft stripper works well.
:beer right back at your avitar..

I just finished removing the clearcoat from the center covers on my 88. Bought refinished wheels from a friend without covers so I reused my old ones. I bought a can of acetone to strip the clearcoat. It was a gel so it pretty much stayed where I put it. After several minutes the old clearcoat bubbled right up and I took it off with a plastic scraper. A little work with Mother's polish and they look like new.

If you are going to do the whole wheel I would recommend dismounting the tire. Don't think you want acetone on your tires.

Do a search for "removing clearcoat" and you'll probably find several other ways to accomplish your task.

Good luck!

Ron
"Baldie88"

You might try spray gasket remover. A few years ago I was doing a clutch job on my motorcycle and was using the spray gasket remover. Suddenly I noticed that along with the gasket my clear coat was wiping off. So the clutch job became a stripping and detailing of the whole bike.:chuckle

you mean a paint stripper? I've heard of the aircraft stripper works well.
:beer right back at your avitar..
Yep regular paint stripper .Aircraft stripper works well too.Also I almost forgot,the inset areas of the wheel will also strip as well when you do this,they are hard to get completely clean so you may have to come back and paint the inset areas afterwards.It sucks but makes a very detailed looking job.

thx everyone. started stripping and its going well;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom