Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

PlastiDip

02VetteCoupe

Corvette
2002 Red Coupe (Intake/Exhaust)
Tonight I bought some PlastiDip to flat black my targa, and then after I saw the results, I did the rear diffuser and driver's side fender hash marks. Let me know what you guys think. You'll have to see them in my PlastiDip album because I can't attach them for some reason from my phone. I liked the blacked out interior after the plastidip on the roof that I took off my visor stickers and fixed them while I was at it. I was feeling productive lol.

Looks good! :thumb

Please - allow me to assist.
:wJane Ann

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tonight I bought some PlastiDip to flat black my targa, and then after I saw the results, I did the rear diffuser and driver's side fender hash marks. Let me know what you guys think. You'll have to see them in my PlastiDip album because I can't attach them for some reason from my phone. I liked the blacked out interior after the plastidip on the roof that I took off my visor stickers and fixed them while I was at it. I was feeling productive lol.

Hey that's pretty cool. Is the whole top now blacked out? How difficult was it to apply? It might be better to have, being I don't have the solid roof panel. It is always so hot in the car during the summers. Maybe the gloss would be better?
Paul

Hey that's pretty cool. Is the whole top now blacked out? How difficult was it to apply? It might be better to have, being I don't have the solid roof panel. It is always so hot in the car in the summers. Maybe the gloss would be better?
Paul

Yeah. It looks better in person. At night it looks satin black in dim lights. In the daylight it just looks solid black. I used a full can on the roof, it was the first thing I dipped. It was very easy. Just take it off and tape off the metal parts that go above the side windows. Very cheap and easy. I can see a little bit of light showing through during the day, but can't tell on the outside. It looks good inside day or night. It was just my first try. I'll probably go over it again. But it is pretty good even without another coat. Don't forget to get rid of those "kids in the backseats that you don't have" off the visors lol. I just wanted to cover the old targa's tint and clear coat since it was fading. Decent improvement for less than 6 bucks. I recommend it. Good luck with yours:)

I redid the stripes also. Don't have pics because I drove the other car to visit home for New Year. My friends ask why I only did one fender and I have to school them on the 96 GS. Then they happily agree. :cool!:

Yeah. It looks better in person. At night it looks satin black in dim lights. In the daylight it just looks solid black. I used a full can on the roof, it was the first thing I dipped. It was very easy. Just take it off and tape off the metal parts that go above the side windows. Very cheap and easy. I can see a little bit of light showing through during the day, but can't tell on the outside. It looks good inside day or night. It was just my first try. I'll probably go over it again. But it is pretty good even without another coat. Don't forget to get rid of those "kids in the backseats that you don't have" off the visors lol. I just wanted to cover the old targa's tint and clear coat since it was fading. Decent improvement for less than 6 bucks. I recommend it. Good luck with yours:)

What did you do to prep the areas before you "dipped" them? Did you clean, sand or whip it with prep spray etc.???

What did you do to prep the areas before you "dipped" them? Did you clean, sand or whip it with prep spray etc.???

I just cleaned it. That's all. No actual prep work.

I just cleaned it. That's all. No actual prep work.
How? What type of cleaner? I've heard tales of this stuff falling off if not prepped correctly.

Just trying to learn the facts first!

How? What type of cleaner? I've heard tales of this stuff falling off if not prepped correctly.

Just trying to learn the facts first!

I just washed my car at the wash. Then did a good wipe on the targa with a wet paper towel. Just made sure there wasn't any debris between the roof and my dip. I think I used wind ex to be sure. Just make sure it doesn't have film or dirt.

When prepping for Plastidip, you may want to wash your car, or anything else you're planning on Plastidipping, with Dawn detergent first. It will remove any old wax/polish build-up giving Plastidip a better surface to adhere to. It works great on your wheels too!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom