Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Rob, I think it is safe to say-
...Larry Webster...
... is a Europhile. :L

JMHO- I can't remember anyone from Car and Driver really extolling any American car since the C5 debuted... 12 years ago. Larry does give the Vette some credit- but the criticism to the BMW seems to be a bit more forgiving and glossed over more or less.

I read magazines like Car Craft, Vette, GM High Performance, High Performance Pontiac (whodda think it!), and a few other magazines that are a bit more "hands on" in terms of articles. Don't get me wrong- magazines like Car and Driver have great pictures- but their content is sprinkled with as much nonsense as NPR.:chuckle

I hope PM isn't following C&D's business model.:eyerole

HI there,
I love how they compare apples and oranges all the time.
I mean, forget bang for the buck or the 4 seat sedans or the pony cars.
Corvette was never engineered to compete with them.
Corvette is a 2 seat sports car and is the most capable ever produced.
Yes, they took the long term to engineer c5, using much of the 928 torque tube design.
But hey, if you want perfection, your not gonna find it in any sports car.
Back to facts, there isnt anything that will cure the critics of their biased theories or attitudes.
The sales, the race wins, the customer satisfaction will determine how bad/good the Corvette is, nothing else.

Not a critic, not a magazine or anything else.

THE CUSTOMERS DECIDE.

Allthebest, c4c5

"Us & Them"

I also love BMW's and my 1990 325 is permenant party in this garage.
As for this comparo and others like it, it's like I said before - diss, diss, diss... that's all you ever heard in the car press up to 15 years ago. The Vette can't this, the Vette can't that. Now the Vette simply dominates damm near everything in it's path and they're still looking for ways to put the thing down. I'd take the $4,300 difference and get a pair of Recaros and some "nice" carpeting to replace the stock "astroturf" :(

Let's get out to ten years old with these two. Want to work on the Bimmer engine with all that tech? The race-winning "archaic" pushrod mill is way easier to work on and has a lower center of gravity giving better handling.

The Vette is now down to refinement, the performance is covered. :beer

author got the 'read' he wished

And we're all talking about him, right, just like the advertisement we hate, but it works because we recall it.

I am still on Vette #6, #7 being an '05 that went back due to dealer error. I disliked the seats and the touchscreen requirement; a step back from the '84's seats and eyes too-long off the pavement. However, what I hear from C6 owners is that the cars are awesome. We all know it, so why give this clown any head space?

I think Chevy does an admirable job in producing a car with the capability it has at the pricepoint. Maybe some exotic interior should be an option, but how can we expect both affordability AND superb materials? I. too, would like to see more flexibility in options, rather than the Honda-like packages. FWIW, Korean cars are as high on my list as Chinese tools (or dogfood).

I've had three 7- series. I still have my first, a 735iL. That used car convinced me to buy four other BMWs, but the newest, a 745Li, convinced me to buy no more. It is an $80,000 throwaway because once the bumper-to-bumper is over, no one can afford the dealers' cost for repair and no one else can fix the damn things. A pal told me he cannot even check the oil level in his new 330ix! What? If I wish to change any of the driver's options, it costs almost $300, vs a simple read in the Vette manual, following some 'cookbook' steps.

I fail to see where advertising the Corvette will yield any return for Chevy. I like seeing my favorite marque on the tube, but it seems to only make an appearance when drawing folks to other cars; seemingly as GM has learned. When did you last see a Porsche, Maserati or other limit-target car ad?

Frankly, I like the stealthy performance of my Vette. On C-4s forward, that also includes amazing economy.

The next Shinoda car.... :w

I drive a 2008 Corvette ZO6. I have owned 5 Corvettes starting in 1975 and have bought 3 of them new. I had high expectations of every one of them and have never been disappointed. There have been growing pains along the way but<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CTemp%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> each one has been better than the last.

The C6 version of the Corvette can hold it's own in quality, performance and economy with any car in it's price range. It isn't the car for everyone but if you've done your homework and purchased the car on it's merits you shouldn't be disappointed.

... if you've done your homework and purchased the car on it's merits you shouldn't be disappointed.

Great advice! :thumb

Perhaps people don't walk in with a full understanding of the good and bad. ;shrug

Therefore, they can only be disappointed because without a realistic set of expectations- there are no clear expectations that can ever be met.

I understand part of what he is saying. GM and most other Mfgs. have gone off the deep end with silly electronics that I don't want and refuse to pay for. A computer module for the SEATS .... why? HUDs are nice but why didn't you just make the dash readable in the first place. Climate controll ... I can figure out if I want it warmer or cooler with out help. Stability controll ... don't floor a 600hp car in the middle of a turn on a slick road like some many pics on the other Vette web sites. 16 speaker radio able to blow out the windshield ... why espically when most complain about it anyway and have it replaced buy Mr. Stero Guy to whom I owe many thanks for helping us keep the doors open. OnStar is a MUST ... not in my car for free much less pay for it and be REQUIRED to buy it if I want it or not. GM could knock 10K off the price by making many things an option. I for one would love a cloth seat option or standard with leather as an upgrade.

Some how it just doesnt work. I always thought the same way but I saw the light.

Vette buyers want the cool factor and the profit margin for these gizmos is enormous.
it would be too hard for them to walk away from that .

Look at the first FRC 1998?
It was supposed to be a car that got back to basics. It cut out many things and in the end it saved pennies. It went up like a lead balloon. SO then they turned it into a high power racer Z06. A different mission.
I agree with your concept. Mine is somewhat limited in options and I dont feel any pain.
However, I have auto, leather seats, a/c, Stereo, and the 3.15 rear.
My HVAC is the basic, I have no HUD, base engine, two roofs, polished wheels, active handling. Who could ask for more??
I am not sure that I would want too much less and believe me they wouldnt pass on too much savings.

BTW MOST Vettes are financed/leased and the savings/ month is pennies.

I also agree that the construction could be much simpler. I dont know why a computer is needed to open a window or lock a door, or open a headlight, on/on/on.
The radio is a perfect example - No matter what the cost it S**ks.
You know they cost minimal to make and a better one will cost a fortune, but you can buy a great aftermarket one for pennies.

Corvette or Harley

I like the Corvette for what it stands for to me(Like the Harley).As a speed demon my wife would not allow me to ride a Harley,so i love my Corvette.Its American,Stands for American when all that is slowly getting taken away.Let the Corvette alone

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom