Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please help!!! Cam issue

• Thread starter Thread starter crebo
  • Start date Start date
C

crebo

I already have a bb 402
10.5-1 compression
demon 850 carb
headers
700r4
3.08 rear (will change to 3.70 later)

Here's the issue. I plan to get these heads. Not sure what brand of cam.

I plan to use these heads: http://www.paceparts.com/product.asp?0=243&1=246&3=509

Trying to figure out what brand: Looking at Comp extreme or Crane. Same performance spec's or close.

That's about it. I hope some of you have tried these cams and others. Please let me know.

Still lookin for well rounded car. Low-Mid-High range. It is a daily driver 3-5 times a week. I would like to have about 400- 425 on the ground.

Thanks alot and spare me nothing. I really want to make the best decision. I guess it's a matter of preference. Looking for what the majority uses and perfers.

Crebo

There's been plenty of magazine write-ups on big-blocks, which have put up respectable numbers with the Comp Extreme series, namely the 274 variant. What you might also want to consider is having Comp Cams grind you a custom camshaft, if you want your cam to suit specific need of yours'. Just speak with one of their techs and be openly honest with them. You'll be surprised how helpful they'll be. Just remember that any man can wear a suit, but only a tailor can make him look good in it.

--Bullitt

Thanks bullitt

Just trying to figure things out. I was hoping more people had favorites.

I guess there all about the same

Crebo

Crebo,
you may want to look at the AFR 315 CNC ported heads. i think they would make a great addition to your motor. i can't get a price as of yet, but the guys at AFR have been extremely helpful in the past. give them a call and see what they would recommend as far as heads and cam. also, you may want to call Crower cams and chat with those guys as well. a couple of phone calls is cheaper than getting something you won't like. take care, Brian

Thanks Brian,
Haven't heard from you in a while. Thanks for the info. I've heard alot about those afr heads. Alittle pricey.
I'll compare.
I plan to get heads,cam and intake and a trusty dusty fan shroud.

I still show everyone your video.

Crebo

Crebo,
i will check those prices come monday, but i think the AFR's are only a couple hundred more than what you are looking at. the GM heads are good ones, but i think for the numbers you want now, and the bigger ones in the futrue, the AFR's are the way to go. maybe you will win the Cali state lottery and not have to worry about the extra bones for the good stuff.
glad you are still enjoying the video! my buddy is supposed to be putting out a rally video of all the guys from Valdez. when he gets around to producing it, there should be a lot more Vette coverage. when and if it happens, i'll post it for all to see. later, Brian

Crebo,
sorry i have not been able to get the prices on those heads. for some reason my computor will not bring up the AFR website and my parts guy is out on vacation. have you had any luck contacting AFR?? Brian

Yeah I checked the prices. The flow seems to be better than the ones that I plan to buy. I think the ones I plan to buy are 290. I afr start at 305 I believe. I think the gm ones are 1720. Afr start at 2200.
Is it worth it?
Crebo

Crebo,
sorry for not getting back with you, i was stuck on a remote island all last week and did not have access to the internet. sometimes my job really sucks, but having six months a year off is nice. anyway to get 400-425 to the ground, you need at least 500 at the crank. the AFR's flow better than anything else i have seen. flow is were you get power, period! the AFR's may not be needed to get you to your target, but they will able to be expanded on in the future. the 315 AFR's will work great on medium to moderately built 454 and on a good cammed 502. i guess it all depends upon your need to expand what you already have, but since your looking to improve the new motor, i believe you have been bit by the "got to go bigger-badder" bug. i would go with your budget, but if you can afford it then look to the best parts that are available. did you have a chance to talk with anybody about head/cam combos??

Crebo,
i was finally able to get the AFR pricebook to download. the 305 as cast torque monster heads are only $250 more than the GM heads you were looking at. that might be the best route for you. let me know what you think, Brian

Sorry I haven't been on the net lately. I'm in the Army and in the desert so you can imagine how busy I am with the world situation.
Anyway I'm getting those heads for 1550 :beer The shipping is $28.00. These prices seem to be rock bottom. I will see if they can get AFR's through them. (hotrod usa)
I'plan to get a edelbrock intake 1500rpm - 6500. I started to go with the gm intake. They say that it's influenced by edel. Plus it's $75 more for the bowtie symbol. I really like the bow-tie.
The cam seems to be the biggest problem for me. Called every cam place. Comp people recommend a differ cam everytime I call.
I think I'll go with the lunati.
292-230 in/ex 544 lift. 2000 rpm-6000 rpm
I hope it's not a overkill. It kinda close to everything everyone recommends.
What do you think?

Everything is on the first sheet.
I have a 2200 stall.

Crebo,
good intakes should not make to difference between themselves. throttle responce will be best if you stick to a dual plane intake. holley makes weiand and lunati, and most of the weiand intakes flow a little better than edelbrock. there are several good high flow dual planes out there, so get the logo you like best. as for the cam, the one you picked sounds like a great low and mid range cam. did you call the guys at crower cams??? they were very helpfull in getting the right cam for my 406. they specced my cam from some old dirt track race profiles that they ran back in the day and special ground it. i have never run across the same profiles from any cam manufacturer. they may some profile in their bag of goodies that would work better for you needs. it is worth a call. if you have desk top dyno 2000, play with some of the cam profiles and see what happens. if you don't have dd2000 it is on kaaza so you download it for free.

Thanks Brian,
I just got a hold of that Kazaa....two days ago. Trying to customize my cds. Will the dd2000 give me a good idea of hp rating.
Just like you said the cam seems to be the main issue. Everyone likes differ intakes. I will call crower cams. I want it to be responsive. Just want it to be rounded don't want it missing too much in any area.

I'm calling Hotrod place today. Order heads and intake.(gonna check for best deal gm vs. afr)

Next month I'll get the cam and fan shroud. With reminds me. Can I use the same stock 77 shroud or do I have to go to a bb shroud?

Anyway thanks for your help
Crebo

Brian,
Awsome. I downloaded dd2000. Cool product. Still unsure about a few differ things. What denotes small or large headers. Was hoping for the exact head to pop out.
Anyway it puts me pretty close to my goal.

Crebo

the big and small headers refer to the size tubes between the head and the collector, the four single pipes right off the head. try and stay with the smaller header tubes, they will rob high rpm power, but they will provide lots of torque off idle and all the way up to 5500 rpm. the big headers are geared for 7500 rpm motors, not really what you have, or even want. as for your fan shroud, look for a big block shroud off of a '74. i believe the water pumps are located a little different between the small and big blocks. you can call any Chevy dealer and have the parts guy compare the numbers between a '74 small and big block equipped cars. chances are you will need to order one from the dealer anyway, and checking the numbers will verify the answer to your question. i think that you can input the flow numbers of different heads in dd2000, and then play with cam specs to reach the optimum for the different heads. have fun with the program, and let me know what you come up with, Brian

Well Brian,
I've ordered the heads and intake. I'm trying to find the cam to put it all together. The program that you recommended works really well (even with my limited no-how ).
Once I get it together I'll seed some pic's. It'll be aminute. I will order the cam and shroud next month and see if I can sneak some roller tips in there and a fresh new set of valve covers.
Anyway thanks for all of your help.
I still have to call Crower
Crebo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom