Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

please, please, help me with this ( balance question )..

D

devilfish

As I understand our engines is external balanced, with a zero balanced damper, and external balanced FW or FP , right? Now as I understand it the GM stock FW and the FP has the same offset balance from the factory, and you only have to use the tiny wieghts in order to fine tune it ( place them on the same locations as your old FW on the new one ). Im I right so far??

Does that men if I get a 383 stroker kit that is external balanced, I can just install that in my engine and use my stock dual mass FW cause the all late350 FW has the same offset ( without the tiny wieghts ofcourse )? Or must I use my FW and reblance it?

devilfish said:
As I understand our engines is external balanced, with a zero balanced damper, and external balanced FW or FP , right? Now as I understand it the GM stock FW and the FP has the same offset balance from the factory, and you only have to use the tiny wieghts in order to fine tune it ( place them on the same locations as your old FW on the new one ). Im I right so far??

Does that men if I get a 383 stroker kit that is external balanced, I can just install that in my engine and use my stock dual mass FW cause the all late350 FW has the same offset ( without the tiny wieghts ofcourse )? Or must I use my FW and reblance it?
here is the BEST way for a 383 in a vette. Buy all the parts and then give the machine shop the rtating assembly, neutral balance harmonic balancer and your stock flywheel.

Have the machine shop internally balance the assembly and balance the rear to the FW/FP. If you externally balance the rotating assembly you would need an external balance harmonic balancer which might not clear the frame.

well that will only work if I can internal balance the rotating assaembly. There could perhaps be to littel material on the crank for that. That mean adding heavy metal, witch cost alot of money.

devilfish said:
well that will only work if I can internal balance the rotating assaembly. There could perhaps be to littel material on the crank for that. That mean adding heavy metal, witch cost alot of money.
Depeneding on the crank, it should not be too much.

Do you already have the parts?

I heard Scat Cranks don't typically need too much heavy metal. I was also told that the heavy metal used is mallory and at the machine shop I used they charge $50 per piece of it.

EDIT= I also want to add that if it were me I would spend the money and have the motor balanced the right way and not cut corners on it. Getting it balanced right is worth the cost in my opinion

-=Jeff=- said:
here is the BEST way for a 383 in a vette. Buy all the parts and then give the machine shop the rtating assembly, neutral balance harmonic balancer and your stock flywheel.

Have the machine shop internally balance the assembly and balance the rear to the FW/FP. If you externally balance the rotating assembly you would need an external balance harmonic balancer which might not clear the frame.
Agreed! Also, there are external dampers that will fit, that is, they are in similar size to the stock unit. I'm using a Pro Race steel piece with the balancing weight removed - I didn't need the weight; the machine shop did a good job balancing the rotating assembly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom