Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Plug Wires

redvet1978

Corvette
1978 Corvette
Just wanting to know what plug wires everyone is running and any recommendations. I have a small block 350, mild cam, headers, HEI distributer. I am considering the MSD 8.5mm

I'm not sure I agree with the OE replacement ACD wires being a good choice for an engine with headers. Typically, the plug boots are not robust enough and sometimes are not shaped correctly.

The best wires are MSD Super Conductors. The "standard" MSD 8.5 wire is also good. Both have boots that are compat. with headers.

I have a 350 with Hooker competition headers and I am using OE plug wires with no problem.

Good luck!!!

I have a 350 with Hooker competition headers and I am using OE plug wires with no problem.

Good luck!!!

Based on what "minifridge1138" posted, I need to revise my comment about OE wires and headers...
Typically, the plug boots are not robust enough and sometimes are not shaped correctly.

In some cases the plug boots will not be robust enough to handle the heat. Also, headers very widely as to the positioning and thickness of their primariy pipes and sometimes they're not shaped correctly to provide adequate clearance between the boot and a primary header pipe.

thanks guys...i am going with the MSD 8.5mm red superconductors. i will let you all know what i think of them after running them for awhile.

thanks mikey. i am not really looking for more performance just a good wire to hold up to the heat of the headers. i had jegs 8mm wires on and problem i am having is a couple plug boots keep popping off. not sure if it is the heat or what. i checked them all and they are all on tight.

Aside from the heat resistant properties, don't expect any miracles from aftermarket wires.

I agree with "Vettehead Mikey" that miracles (ie: significant performance gains) are impossible with aftermarket wires.

That said, there are some advantages, other than significant performance increases, in MSD wires (either type) over carbon-resistor OE or OE-replacement wires. They are:

1) Better reliability/durability and (in the case of Super Conductors) lower resistance yet high suppression which comes from the spiral wound, metallic conductor used in those two products. The least resistance is the Super Conductor product but, of course, it costs more than the "standard" MSD 8.5mm "Heli-Core".

2) Plug end connectors that won't fall off the plugs.

I have SuperConductors on all my engines which don't use coil-on-plug ign. Four of these five engines have headers. I've never had a boot fall off a plug and some of these wire sets have been in service 5 or more years and 40,000 or more miles.

thanks for the info hib. sounds like i will be happy with the msd wires. it has been a pain in the rear with boots popping off. i appreciate everyones input!

I'll add that, in the interests of posting something "budget concious" that you may be able to "fix" the boots on the Jegs wires if you take a pair of pliers and carefully "squeeze" the plug ends in a manner that sligtly deforms them such that the terminal will grip the plug more tightly.

because of the boots popping off i now have 2 burnt boots. so while needing to replace the wires i am going to spend the extra money and get the msd 8.5mm red super conducters. i think it will be money spent in the long run! i have already ordered them i will have them tomorrow.

oops...i meant to say...i think it will be money WELL spent in the long run!

After cooking various sets of aftermarket junk, I stick with Delco. They work great with my headers.

I use MSD spiral cores (I use a MSD 6 al as well) and I bought boot sleeves (some woven heat resistant material) to go over the boots near the headers.
On my 454 motor , i had a hesitation I couldnt cure ...eventually bought new plug wires and hey presto , it was gone and i got much better performance - there was no visible evidence that there was a problem with the existing wires which looked very good...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom