Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Plugs for My 1986

strokin383-c4

Corvette
1986 Black Z-51 Coupe
Wondering the Best suggestion for new plugs for my 1986?

Thanks,
Sean

What cylinder heads are on the engine?
How do you typically drive it?

The late 86 Aluminum Heads currently, with the 9000 ceramic booted wires
Daily driver 80% Freeway

Spark Plugs

Go with the factory recomendations i.e., as in the oners manual. You'll need to replace after 30K miles.

Go with the factory recomendations i.e., as in the oners manual. You'll need to replace after 30K miles.

The factory recommended plug, if it's still available, is a good choice, but I believe the OP asked: what is the best plug to use in an 86 aluminum head engine.

The best, IMO, are Denso iridium-tipped plugs. If long-life is important, the SK16PRL11. Gap them at .045 and you can run them 50,000 miles or more. If high performance is the key goal, I'd use the Denso Iridium Power plug and since the majority of your miles are highway, I'd go one heat range colder than stock to the IK20.

The factory recommended plug, if it's still available, is a good choice, but I believe the OP asked: what is the best plug to use in an 86 aluminum head engine.

The best, IMO, are Denso iridium-tipped plugs. If long-life is important, the SK16PRL11. Gap them at .045 and you can run them 50,000 miles or more. If high performance is the key goal, I'd use the Denso Iridium Power plug and since the majority of your miles are highway, I'd go one heat range colder than stock to the IK20.

Okay, Ive been running the Autolite 3924's. gapped at .035

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom