Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Points to Electroic Starter

B

Bad65

Anyone recommend converting to an electonic starter? What is the cost to do this?

BAd is your car stick ?

And what do you mean... electronic starter?

Turn you AOL IM on.......Please?!

Vig!

Electronic Ignition

Not mechanically inclined at all....been told that I should convert to an electonic ignition. Want to learn more about this before I do it. Thanks

OK, that clears it up - you have a point ignition system now (assuming your car has the original ignition system), which requires occasional maintenance (replacing points and condenser, setting dwell, etc.); there are several aftermarket units you can install in your existing distributor (like Pertronix, etc.) that replace the points so you have an electronic switch that requires no maintenance instead of the electro-mechanical points. Point ignition is very reliable, but converting to an electronic module eliminates the need for maintenance, if that's important to you.

Swapping out your entire ignition system for a full-electronic system (like MSD, etc.) is a total waste of money unless your car is HIGHLY modified.

Ah and I was thinking remote start...

So I would advise against the aftermarket distributor...points caps rotors coils balast resistors are DIRT CHEAP.. and Blue Streak makes some good stuff. the cost of a tune up should be around $75.00 for ALL the top stuff if you do it yourself.. ( and you hang with us dogs long enough... we will be having you do things you never imagined... mechanically speaking of course )

let me clear up the following.. the after market system will be better as far as higher spark output.. but unless youve modded the car.. and race it.. not really needed.

The cost of the petronix will give you 5-6 good tune ups & oil changes.. so DO NOT DO IT! ..plus you will have an after market thing under the hood... detracts for resale..

Keep it stock..let it ROCK!

My .02

Vig!

AOL IM

America Online Instant messaging

A way to type directly to the person.

1 on 1

To give more direct feedback.

Vig!

Distributor upgrade..

I have a Chevy HEI distributor in my 64. No points to deal with and much more fire. If you are concerned about resale in the future you just reinstall the original distributor when the time comes to sell. Unless you are one of those anal people totally hung up on being 100% original, this is a great upgrade with less upkeep and more fire.

I agree with the above. The little electronic module replacing the points can be done with no visual change, and the effect is more precise (and stronger) spark over time. And it can always be undone.

Another option is a more modern dist, like the HEI.

Oh, and the cost for the little module is generally $50-70, as I recall.

Electronic is the way to go. With the Pertronix module in my 65, I put on over 800 miles round trip to Carlisle with no change in my timing. No hassle, with the only visible difference from stock was the extra wire coming out the bottom of the distributor. Easily converted to original, if need be. I have over 4200 miles on it and no problems. .......Drive it like you stole it!! Frank

I have the Pertronix Ignitor in my 71 and love it. Just do a search on these forums for "Pertronix" and you will see tons of rave reviews.

Have the full MSD ignition that JohnZ is mentioning...My feeling is that it is an improvement...But that's just my .02...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom