Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Police look to refurbish old D.A.R.E. Corvette

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Police look to refurbish old D.A.R.E. Corvette

By Stephanie Taylor, Staff Writer
Published: Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.

TUSCALOOSA | Heads turn when Tuscaloosa Police Officer Robert Fourt goes anywhere in the department’s show car -- a Dodge Charger with extensive modifications and a designer paint job.

Often, when talking to people about the Charger, people ask Fourt about the department’s old 1987 Corvette.

The Corvette was seized from a drug dealer in 1994 and used in the anti-drug D.A.R.E. program for nearly a decade. Now in disrepair, the car known by hundreds of former Tuscaloosa school children sits in an empty lot off 35th Street.

The removable hard top has leaked, damaging the interior. Weather stripping has rotted and the electrical system has gone haywire. The doors won’t open, and the rear spoiler seems barely attached to the body.

“The engine is in good shape. The main issue is the electrical system,” Fourt said.

He hopes that people in Tuscaloosa have enough nostalgia for the car to pitch in and help with restoration efforts. He’s looking for corporate sponsors, private citizens or anyone in the automotive industry who could donate parts or labor.

“We think it would cost around $20,000 to get it back to its glory days,” he said. “It’s been relegated to the boneyard and I hate to see that.”

The car has an interesting history. It was seized in the early 1990s from Marion Dudley, who was later put to death in Texas for killing four people, including a pregnant woman, during a drug deal.

Like the Charger, the Corvette was used as a public relations tool for the department.

“People like cars. We’re an automotive-centric society,” he said. “People can relate to something that looks really cool.”

The car was a good icebreaker for D.A.R.E. officers visiting schools where children had either no experience with police officers or had only been around them during a bad situation. Many children are even taught to fear police, he said.

“I call the cars mechanical ambassadors. This gives us an opportunity to talk with people in a stress-free environment,” he said.

Anyone who wants to assist can call Fourt at 205-248-4651 or email at rfourt@tuscaloosa.com.

Reach Stephanie Taylor at stephanie.taylor@tuscaloosanews.com or 205-722-0210.

All rights reserved.

• Admin
Police need aid in fixing Corvette used in anti-drug program

Police need aid in fixing Corvette used in anti-drug program

By Stephanie Taylor Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 12:03 a.m.

TUSCALOOSA
| Heads turn when Tuscaloosa Police Officer Robert Fourt goes anywhere in the department's show car — a Dodge Charger with extensive modifications and a designer paint job.

Often, when talking to people about the Charger, people ask Fourt about the department's old 1987 Corvette.

The Corvette was seized from a drug dealer in 1994 and used in the anti-drug DARE program for nearly a decade. Now in disrepair, the car known by hundreds of former Tuscaloosa schoolchildren sits in an empty lot off 35th Street.

The removable hard top has leaked, damaging the interior. Weather stripping has rotted and the electrical system has gone haywire. The doors won't open, and the rear spoiler seems barely attached to the body.

'The engine is in good shape. The main issue is the electrical system,' Fourt said.

He said he hopes that people in Tuscaloosa have enough nostalgia for the car to pitch in with restoration efforts. He's looking for corporate sponsors, private citizens or anyone in the automotive industry who could donate parts or labor.

'We think it would cost around $20,000 to get it back to its glory days,' he said. 'It's been relegated to the boneyard and I hate to see that.'

The car has an interesting history. It was seized in the early 1990s from Marion Dudley, who was later put to death in Texas for killing four people, including a pregnant woman, during a drug deal.

Like the Charger, the Corvette was used as a public relations tool for the department.

'People like cars. We're an automotive-centric society,' Fourt said. 'People can relate to something that looks really cool.'

The car was a good icebreaker for DARE officers visiting schools where children had either no experience with police officers or had only been around them during a bad situation. Many children are even taught to fear police, he said.

'I call the cars mechanical ambassadors. This gives us an opportunity to talk with people in a stress-free environment,' he said.

Reach Stephanie Taylor at steph anie.taylor@tuscaloosanews.com or 205-722-0210.

All rights reserved.

$20,000 to "refurbish" it back to road worthy and it's Glory Days :eek :ugh

I think they are Idiots ;) For $20,000 they could buy a whole lot more Corvette than "refurbish" a 1987 Corvette. They could actually buy a solid C3, C4 probably even a very nice C5..

My nieghbor just bought a 2006 Red/black with 30,000 miles on it, one owner from a local Used Car Dealer for $28,999, 3LT package & paddle shift..

Bud

I think they need to put the restore job up for bids and get the car restored for the best bid. The police will still get a whole lot more attention with the 87 vette then they will with that Charger! ;LOL

Who was the idiot that parked a vette outside anyways?:bash

Corvette

You know, I have spent $20k on an old 1984 Corvette. You will be surprised how items can cost as you add em up.
But again, the car serves a great noble cause.
I guess I will contact them, and perhaps see how my art can help.
yet I am in deep shi...p my self, but the programs cause is noble and it is a Vette.
:)

Solution>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Find another drug dealer!!! This time with a C6!!!

HEY! I BOUGHT AN 87 VETTE IN 8/08 FOR $ 7500.00. IT HAS 48K MILES AND IN GREAT CONDITION. I STARTED TO CHANGE THE INTERIOR EX... CARPET, CONSOLE DOOR,NEW LEATHER MOUNTED SEATS, FLOOR MATS, TINTED ALL WINDOWS AND REPLACED ALL WEATHER STRIPING. I HAD TO REPLACE MASTER CYLINDER, BRAKES AND SHOCKS. ENGINE IN PERFECT RUNNING COND. I AM INTO THE CAR FOR I LIITLE OVER $13,000.00 WITH THE PURCHASE PRICE. FYI...I HAVE BEEN DOING ALL REPAIRS MYSELF EXCEPT FOR THE BRAKES! SO, IT CAN ADD UP AND BE VERY COSTLY. $20,000.00 IS MERE DROP IN THE BUCKET IF IT IS IN VERY POOR SHAPE. I HOPE THEY CAN GET DONATIONS. GOOD LUCK!! http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Maybe they've served a few terms in our political system. ;)

Later . . . . . .

6 Shooter
I agree spend the money on our youth give them hope to stay off drugs dont waste the money on an old car , Our dare progam started a racing progam at our local strip and what i saw in the hundreds of kids faces at the track was priceless I saw hope!! ALL the kids got to wrench and prep the car not one day but three times a week we would all meet and the drug money that our sheriffs dept. recived went for this, they say the war on drugs is losing but let me tell ya the smiles on their faces they were winners ,And our sherrif who they now respect is worth more than i can say

$20K? Typical attitude for government expenditure.
Noble cause? A pro police propoganda program worthy of Josef Gerbels?
Let them play for their own propoganda vehicle! They neglected it let them fix out of their own pockets if they want to drive a cool car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom