Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pontiac reaches end of the line

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster

The last Pontiac G6 sedans move down the line Wednesday at General Motors
Orion Assembly in Orion Township.​

Orion Township -- The ride is over for the brand that put rolling excitement on the road for generations of Americans.

General Motors Co. built the last Pontiac for the U.S. market Wednesday: a white, G6 sedan that rolled off the assembly line in Orion Township around 12:45 p.m.​

There was no cake or commemorative banner or senior GM official on hand, and no media were allowed: just a group of "final process" workers to oversee the last 100 G6 models assembled.​

"We're focused on a quality build-out for the customer," said GM spokesman Kevin Nadrowski.​

Many workers stopped to pose for photos with the last cars as they moved down the assembly line.​

It was a subdued goodbye for an 82-year-old brand that debuted under the bright lights of the New York Auto Show in 1926.​

GM announced in April that it would phase out Pontiac as part of a bailout orchestrated by the U.S. government.​

Unlike the last Oldsmobile, an Alero signed by hundreds of plant workers and donated to the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing, the final G6 models will be sold as part of a fleet order.​

For some Pontiac enthusiasts, it's an inglorious ending for a car line that popularized Silver Streak styling in the 1930s and defined the muscle car era.​

The Orion Township plant will be idled and retooled to produce a new small car in 2011.​

"We want to survive the next 18 months until we start building GM's next small car," said Pat Sweeney, president of UAW Local 5960, the union that represents workers at the factory.​

Sweeney said it was a bittersweet time for the plant's 2,400 employees.​

Many of the same workers were building the Oldsmobile Aurora sedan when GM decided to discontinue Olds in December 2000.​

In December, the automaker will end production of the Pontiac G3 Wave, a subcompact built in Mexico and sold only in Canada -- marking the official end of production for the brand.​

Launched in 1926 as a companion to GM's Oakland division, Pontiac is the third best-selling automobile line of all time in the United States, behind Chevrolet and Ford.​

Under GM's brand hierarchy, it was slotted above Chevrolet and below Oldsmobile, and was favored for years by schoolteachers, the cast of "I Love Lucy," and other middle-class wage earners.​

But it was during the 1960s that the division came into its own, capitalizing on America's growing thirst for racing and unbridled performance with muscle cars such as the GTO and Firebird.​

More than any other GM brand, Pontiac epitomized performance, speed and sex appeal.​

"It was the car teenage boys lusted after and teenage girls hoped to be seen in," said Bob Casey, automotive historian and curator of transportation at The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn.​

Rivals were forced to follow with similar muscle cars, giving Detroit automakers bragging rights over the cars that Japanese rivals were marketing based on fuel economy, quality and reliability.​

Pontiac's U.S. sales peaked in 1984 at almost 850,000 vehicles, roughly four times as many as it sold last year.​

For some Pontiac fans, the beginning of the end came during the 1970s, when fuel economy concerns forced GM and other automakers to downsize cars.​

Foreign competition and a lack of differentiation from other GM models steadily eroded Pontiac's customer base.​

As its U.S. market share steadily dropped from around 50 percent in the 1960s, analysts repeatedly called for GM to trim its bloated lineup and focus on two or three divisions.​

As it did with Oldsmobile in the 1990s, GM tried to resurrect Pontiac in recent years with new rear-wheel drive performance models such as the G8 sports sedan and the Solstice roadster.​

Venerable names and models like Bonneville, Grand Prix, Firebird and Grand Am were retired.​

But it also continued to market vehicles such as the G3, G5 and Torrent that were not much different than Chevy models. And it relied too heavily on fleet customers and struggled to become profitable again.​

"Most Pontiacs haven't been hot in years," Casey said. "The consumption ladder that GM used for years -- a car for every purse and purpose -- no longer worked in the U.S. market."​

As sad an occasion as it is, unlike Olds, Pontiac went out a Hero and not a Zero. The G8 with it's LS3 V8 was one of the best American performance sedans ever built.

American????

Yes, American.
Sure, parts of it were assembled elsewhere and some of the development work was done in Austrailia, but GM Engineeers were downunder working with the Aussies, the styling was done here and the engine/trans was done here. The profits of its sale (few as they may have been) came to the U.S.

By today's standards of global trade and so forth, the G8 American.

Philosphically, the car was definitely American...ie: big sedan with a big V8.

We it completely designed and developed by GM in the U.S.?
No.
Was it built by our UAW brothers and sisters in a plant in the U.S.
No.

But then, there are few cars sold by domestics which are all, or at least a majority domestic content.

My Father had a really nice 1952 Catalina Coupe. It was a 2 door hardtop with the 3 windows in the rear. It was tutone green with leather interior.

I once had an Oldsmodobile AURORA, and they are done. :puke
I once had a Pontiac TRANS AM and a GTO, and they are done. :puke

I just got my 2010 Chevrolet CORVETTE, to go along with my CADILLAC CTS, and I HOPE they aren't next !!! :W

Dennis :confused

Sad to see Pontiac go. Had a Fiero GT which probably would have been the mid-engine Vette if it was allowed to be developed past the fire trap it was. Also had several Grand Prixs and Bonnevilles for daily driver duties over the years and was working on getting a G8GT for sedan duties until GM pulled the plug.

RIP Pontiac

Rhys, I've seen some pics of Fieros with V8's stuffed in them. That would be a ride.

Didn't the Fiero run a race series quite successfully in the mid-80's; Trans Am perhaps? Quite a few ran successful SCCA Solo II (autocross) programs in various configurations (stock, prepared, modified). Can't say I was successful but I ran my '85 GT in Solo II until I was offered a ride in a BP Corvette. No contest (prepared V8 vs stock V6) and I was hooked on vettes ever since.

Still sad to see Pontiac close its doors.

I never thought that Pontiac would come to an end. I hope all who sucked the life out of this company are satisfied.

Its sad,the trans-am was the best looking muscle car-imo When I was in HIGH School if you had GTO you were THE MAN!Heres to the INDIANS!:beer

Its sad,the trans-am was the best looking muscle car-imo...

:thumb

Which is why I'm holding onto mine. :cool

They are still making Vettes, but the Trans Am is in automotive Valhalla now... :cry

What a way for Pontiac to go, 1 bad azz coupe for us to enjoy for quite sometime...

In many ways the 2009 G8 GXP is a very appropriate swan song for Pontiac: it has the most powerful engine ever offered in a Poncho, and its magnificent chassis and build quality would also have to be top of the heap. Sure, a solid axle two-door coupe would have been an awesome send-off, but an import-slaying sport sedan with a modest price tag isn't too shabby either. If you have been waiting for a four-door with style and grace that can wax your average Bimmer, then the 415-horse LS3 GXP is your ticket. The hi-po version of the G8 uses the Zeta I chassis with fully independent suspension to make it nimble and smooth, six airbags and StabiliTrack to make it safe, a 6.2L V-8 to make it accelerate, and Brembo brakes to make it stop. The GXP is the full package.

Starting with the interior, though it's not much different than the base or GT model, it is necessary to mention that clearly the GXP seats and panels were designed and crafted by the same Aussies that did the GTO. The seats are comfortable and covered in quality leather, and the shape of the door panels and location of the armrest make the car enjoyable to drive on long distances. Likeness to the GTO stops there, as instead of what was clearly a previous model converted for American use, the G8 seems designed with the intent of using in various countries, left and right hand drive. For example, notice the symmetry in the center console, as the parking brake perfectly matches a handle (for the passenger). Also unlike the GTO, which lost the majority of its trunk space to the gas tank, the G8's cargo area is quite plentiful-the 17.5 cubic feet is about enough for two deceased adults (or two hockey equipment bags). Head and legroom in the front and rear are equally as accommodating. The controls may take some getting used to, but their tactile feel is assuring, well-placed, and will make an F-body seem laughably cheap. The sound system is adequate, but could definitely use a little more juice to be in the running with German cars in this same segment.

Styling is very subjective, but I think it is safe to say that the overall design is a little understated with just a hint of sex appeal to let you know that the GXP is in fact a performance vehicle. The hoodscoops, fender flares, 19x8 polished wheels, low stance, rear diffuser, and dual/dual exhaust tips (in particular) provide the attitude. Meanwhile the profile, overall shape, and nose of the GXP aren't overly aggressive. On the street it becomes a cougar, discretely prowling for its next victim. If not for its fairly raucous exhaust note, it would be a total sleeper. But don't be alarmed-at idle and on the highway she purrs like a kitten, it's only when you mash the go-pedal that the LS3 really sings.

Though I would have to bet the exhaust system is particularly restrictive on the G8, one has to wonder why the LS3 makes only 415 horsepower. Is this to keep the Camaro and Corvette owners happy, or is this thing really detuned? My guess is that it is pretty detuned, then again it's hard to tell when you are lugging over 4,000 pounds around. Whereas in a 3,200-pound Corvette, the LS3 feels like you are riding a missile (ala Dr. Strangelove), in the GXP it lacks the sense of exhilaration. On the positive side, the power always seems adequate, such as when you are trying to pass someone on the highway or pull out into traffic, so it is far from anemic.

While I did not have the opportunity to test out the 6L80E (automatic) version, I can attest that the TR6060 is a joy to row through. The engine and gear ratios seem well matched, negating the use of certain gears a good bit of the time (aided by "Skip Shift"), except during spirited driving. The shifter could be better, but was a large improvement on the GTO-though it did have the exact same knob. Like the GTO, the clutch seems to be a weak point-do a couple of burnouts and that familiar burnt smell might permeate your nostrils. But the feel is soft, the engagement fairly smooth, and it adds to the enjoyment of shifting. The 3.70-ratio rear went a long way to getting the heavy beast off the line, while still providing a relatively low cruising rpm in Fifth and Sixth gear on the highway. We had the opportunity to make a few passes at the dragstrip, but the Florida heat and humidity kept the GXP from going any faster than a 13.4 at 105 mph (with a 2.01 60-foot). GM estimates the GXP will run a 13.0 at 108 mph, as well as a 4.7 in the 0-60, and we don't doubt it. Though most likely that will require better air than Gainesville, Florida, can provide in July.

Ride quality was neither too firm nor too soft, the Zeta chassis handles expansion joints, railroad tracks, and the occasional pothole with ease-never getting out of shape or rattling. The 80 percent advanced-strength steel frame unibody is extremely stiff, and makes for a very sturdy and solid feel. Mounting the steering rack ahead of the front axle, the engine low and rearward in the front cradle, and the battery in the trunk, GM says, helps contribute to a near 50/50 weight distribution. From the driver's seat this translates to a balanced feel with communicative steering. With more than adequate braking thanks to Brembo four-piston, 14-inch fronts and 12.76-inch rears, about the only complaint you can make about the handling is that, like every other stock car, without right foot input it is guilty of understeer. Our test car had the optional 245/40R19 Goodyear all-season tires, which proved troublesome at the track and during spirited street driving. We would have much preferred the standard summer tires. Combine the variable-ratio steering with the (GXP-specific) FE3 multi-link MacPherson strut front and four-link independent rear suspension, and you have a 196-inch long sedan that feels like a much smaller car.

Overall, the G8 GXP is hands-down the best sports sedan you can buy for under $40,000. It has the luxury and telepathic handling of a European car, but with the power, soul, and exhaust note of an American muscle car. It is the perfect marriage of Australian design and American engineering. At that price point, the level of quality is difficult to match, and the level of performance-impossible. Simply put, the G8 GXP is a CTS-V for a middleclass family man or woman, and a great way to honor Pontiac's 83-year history.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

The 2nd generation Firebird, in TA form is the coolest car ever produced in America, even more so than than the midyear Vette.

Those in charge may have succeeded in running the marque into the ground, but my Pontiac lives on:
P1010018.jpg

P1010023.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom