Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poor MPG

Y

YouNotRHart

The first 150 miles on my new C6 Z51 6Spd has been dismal: 15 MPG avg. While coasting at 40-50 mph, it only goes up to 67 mpg (instantaneous). Is this normal? My 2000 Z51 driven similarly got over 20 mpg in similar, mostly non-highway driving with some power use. :confused Unfortunately I won't know if it improves until spring, it's put away for the winter. :cry

HI there,
Your engine is larger and the performance is different. The increased displacement, a new engine and different gearing of your new Z51 could have something to do with the increased fuel usage. I would wait till your 5000 check to see if it changes.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Thanks for the advice. I'll just have to wait and see. Now I think I'll got out to the garage and gaze on my beauty.

:drool:

It wont be too long, then you will be able to put some miles on the car. Hope your wait is good.

Craig

Did you reset all you ave speed, ave MPG and mile a the DIC?? Letting the car idle while cleaning, showing to friends, or just admiring the your Vette will drastically reduce those numbers.

The Instant MPG is calculated from your Ave MPG, if this is low due to idle... buring gas over time and traveling zero distance all you numbers will be low. Lots of people that park there cars during the winter have this problem... They start up the Vette in the garage a couple times a week... spring comes around. And all the numbers are low

Mpg

George8211 said:
Did you reset all you ave speed, ave MPG and mile a the DIC?? Letting the car idle while cleaning, showing to friends, or just admiring the your Vette will drastically reduce those numbers.

The Instant MPG is calculated from your Ave MPG, if this is low due to idle... buring gas over time and traveling zero distance all you numbers will be low. Lots of people that park there cars during the winter have this problem... They start up the Vette in the garage a couple times a week... spring comes around. And all the numbers are low

Thanks, yes I did reset the average mpg gauge a couple of times. The poor mpg did not include excessive idling. I figure another month and I'll bring 'er our from under cover and learn more about how she's doing.

C6BobDrivingSmilingInDriveway1024x726.jpg

Hah, got it! My Z51 wheels don't show too good, should've turned them in more.

YouNotRHart said:
Thanks, yes I did reset the average mpg gauge a couple of times. The poor mpg did not include excessive idling. I figure another month and I'll bring 'er our from under cover and learn more about how she's doing.

http://www.rhart.net/Cars/C6BobDrivingSmilingInDriveway1024x726.jpg

P.S. How do you put images in-line with text? Each time I try, it shows a broken image icon (doesn't work). Is it a size limit problem? What are the limits?

For your link that you have right there, just put [IMG ] before the http stuff and then [/ IMG] after the link.

I put spaces in the brackets but don't any spaces in yours.

Mpg

Mine has only about 1300 miles on it so far, but the combined mileage, highway and street is just over 22 mpg. It has a 2-speed tranny. I think it is that low since it is way too much fun to punch it. If it were mine, I would take it back to the dealer and complain. Or keep my foot out of it for asa tank or so and see if it improves.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Z51, 6sp-14 mpg average. Not to bad for 400hp; the F360 only gets 10mpg at 360hp. No long highway trips yet, but I suspect I'll get 19-22mpg. I have no idea where the 18/24 EPA mileage fantasy is from-maybe a base with auto with my mother driving.....

On my 405 horsepower 2004 Z06 I am averaging 24 to 25 miles per gallon with 91 octane gasoline with mixed highway, rushhour stop and go and two lane black top driving. I drive it fairly aggresively but do set the cruise control on about 78 mph and leave it for about 30 miles when driving in to work in the morning. I have about 2,500 miles on the car, mileage seemed to pick up after about 1,500 miles. Alcohol based fuels will hurt your mileage since the alcohol only has about half the energy as gasoline for the same volume.

Kevin

hzl6cm said:
On my 405 horsepower 2004 Z06 I am averaging 24 to 25 miles per gallon with 91 octane gasoline with mixed highway, rushhour stop and go and two lane black top driving. I drive it fairly aggresively but do set the cruise control on about 78 mph and leave it for about 30 miles when driving in to work in the morning. I have about 2,500 miles on the car, mileage seemed to pick up after about 1,500 miles. Alcohol based fuels will hurt your mileage since the alcohol only has about half the energy as gasoline for the same volume.

Kevin

24 to 25mpg-that is really amazing

I was pleased, with my '01 Camaro SS I ran about 23 mpg. Mile on the Vette was worse to start with, but has now picked up. Over the last 4 tanks or so it has been right in the upper 24 mpg range. It depends on how much stop and go driving I am doing and how much I get on the throttle. - but even then I am just in the lower 24s. One thing I do use in the morning is the cruise control (otherwise I have a tendancy to go too fast since at 5 am there usually isn't enough traffic to slow me down too much) for about 25 miles of my commute in to town and that does help the fuel milage. The other thing is when I am just idling through town is to stay in a fairly high gear - 4th for 30 mph, 5th for 35 or 40 mph, 6th at 45 mph - the engine has plenty of torque to handle it, if I want to pass somebody quick I just drop it a gear or two (or even three) and I am gone!!

Kevin

If you guys are complaining about mileage, just send the car my way and I'll be :D to keep the car fueled.:D

On a serious note, gas just went up $.15 a gallon a couple days ago.:cry

Just for a comparison. I've had my C6, 6 speed for about 5 months now and on the road I get about 26 MPG, and driving around Atlanta (average 35 MPH) I get about 21-22 MPG.

More Snow!?!

Another SNOW STORM in CT!!! Still waiting to bring 'er out. Maybe early April.

C6Rear.jpg

How MPG Has Played Out

I've now put about 1800 miles on my C6 Z51 and the mgp has risen to a respectable 20 to 21 with mixed driving. For one tank I stayed mostly highway and saw a 24 mpg average. So it's reasonable compared to the 15 mpg I was first getting last December before it was put away for the winter. I wouldn't mind seeing the 20-21 edge up to 21-23, depending upon highway/city mix, but I can live with 20-21.

Bob

This ought to cheer you up (maybe not) My daily driver gets about 7 miles a gallon. (Kenworth T-800) I am spending $600 to $900 a week on fuel! Maybe I should get into real estate.

gmjunkie said:
Wow My car Hauler only get's 4 1/2-6 Mpg Loaded or Unloaded!!:cry :eek gmjunkie!!

Geez, what do you have in that, a Detroit Silver 92 or something like that?:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom