Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poor Quality of Polished Aluminum Wheels on C6

Magster said:
Well will let you know how ours wheels come out. We went to the dealer yesterday and have a meeting set with the GM rep. The wheels stink. The first "bad" spot was pointed out by a friend, we then looked at them all and all are milky and now spotting. Ours was built in November. They also are going to replace one of the "replaced" headlights again also. (junk inside)

One question for everyone out there. Do you experience a lag from a dead stop? Not a really noticeable one, but on occasion it just slightly hesitates before it takes off. Thanks for your help.

When is your appointment? Can you keep us posted on the outcome. I am so unhappy with these wheels. I am looking at chrome exchange wheels but then some people say that they are not good either over time.

njmercer said:
When is your appointment? Can you keep us posted on the outcome. I am so unhappy with these wheels. I am looking at chrome exchange wheels but then some people say that they are not good either over time.

We are waiting for the dealer to call. They said within 2 weeks, so am hoping that it will be by the end of the month. :W I too was frustrated and almost bought aftermarket replacements, but for $50 Grand +, and the problems we have had with the headlights :duh I figured I'd complain. We hope there will be no battle. :r If they decide differently we have been through the arbitration process before and if that is what it has to be, then that is what it will be.
I figure this way, we all work hard for what we have and people are accepting 2nd rate as first quality and that is how dealers, manufacturers and everyone else get away with what they do. Guess it's an age thing.:pat

I'm a C4 owner but, I agree with most of you, the C6 wheels do not look like the price/money it sells for.:ugh

PLRX787 said:
I'm a C4 owner but, I agree with most of you, the C6 wheels do not look like the price/money it sells for.:ugh

We also own a C4 a 96. :v It has 32,000 miles on it and the wheels still look like the day it came from the factory. Americans are continually accepting what is thrown at us as being the best, when it is not. :Buttslap If more people demanded quality then we would get quality. A good look at the imports is the best example. Look at a Lexus, you will not see the flaws there that you see in our cars that we so willingly accept as O.K. The imports are time and again better in quality than the U.S. cars, but a Corvette is still a Corvette, BUT GM needs to wake up :z and take care of those that are willing to shell out big $ for our fiberglass toys. Getting of my soapbox now.:hb

Over time is one thing but fresh from the factory looking like s###, well, thats something else! The exchange program works well BTW.

My wheels look as nice as yours. I don't have any other experience with polished wheels and I am happy with mine.
Bill

If you had seen the C5 polished wheel, your head would spin at the sight of the C6 polished wheel! YUCK!

C6 Polished rims

Yeah, the polished rims leave something to be desired. But I'm so proud of the Vette attached to them, I'll deal with it. There are available chrome rims (see a Mid-America catalog) or even some trade-ins for chromes (search for Corvette accesories) available. I've only had my 05 for 2 months, maybe the "proud papa" syndrome will wear off soon, but for now it's all good. It's 83 degrees and the sun is shining here in Alabama. Got some cruisin' to do. Later,
David

05Vette said:
Yeah, the polished rims leave something to be desired. But I'm so proud of the Vette attached to them, I'll deal with it. There are available chrome rims (see a Mid-America catalog) or even some trade-ins for chromes (search for Corvette accesories) available. I've only had my 05 for 2 months, maybe the "proud papa" syndrome will wear off soon, but for now it's all good. It's 83 degrees and the sun is shining here in Alabama. Got some cruisin' to do. Later,
David

David,

Welcome to the CAC, I know you'll have a great time here. And congradulations on your new Vette ( surely do love those C6's).

Remo:cool

Well, for those of you who wanted to be kept informed on the C6 wheels on our new Corvette here we go!
Met with the "rep" from GM and he said that he had NEVER seen this happen to the wheels before. (guess he does not read memo's from GM, or read this forum) He then told us that he had to contact Detroit and would get back to us. Get back to us?????? We have waited 3 1/2 weeks just for him to look at them and now how much longer for a decision? He had the nerve to say that he could not make the decision on his own. Well not to be sluffed off I called GM and low and behold he does have that authority. Is GM in such bad money trouble that they are now shirking their responsibilities??? Sure looks like it. To make matters even worse they have now ordered 3 count them 3 new replacment headlights and all of them have debris of some sort or another in them. The Dealer had the unmitigated gall to say well we can shake the pieces in the headlight into a corner so it does not show!!! NOT HAPPENING!!!!! We went home I called GM and what can I say except that their attitude was no better. She said that it was escalated as far as she could go with the rims and there was nothing else she could do. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE GM!!!! WE ARE EVER SO UNIMPRESSED!!! This left us only one choice ARBITRATION. Got on the phone and filed the complaint. Hello GM did you get the FAX?
For the person who said that the "replacement program" works, we don't think so!!
What a bunch of CR-P!! Not only from the Dealer (Maita Chevrolet of Elk Grove California NOT RECOMMENDED BY US), but from GM itself! More to follow as this moves on!!

An update to my earlier post. I was at a customers house today and they had a black 2003 50th anniversary. You guys are right, the wheels looked much better then my C6. Whats up with that? I guess seeing is believing :mad

Billy. we dont know whats up with that! Have the suppliers changed? Is the finish different? I expected the C6 polished wheels to look AT LEAST as good as my C5. They dont!

And DON'T expect any help from GM on replacements. I had someone say that the "replacment policy" was a snap!! NOT SO! Hopefully with filing for arbitration will facilitate our replacements.

This is very disturbing, but not unexpected on the part of GM. I finally just went out and bought new wheels for my C6 because the $1,300 OPTIONAL polished aluminum wheels spoiled the entire look of such a beautiful car. My car now looks absolutely awesome with my new CCW wheels.

I had a problem a few years ago after I had just bought my new C5. Every time I went to get gas, the pump would shut off immediately and the attendant would tell me I didn't need gas, yet I had NO gas. After several attempts by the dealer to fix this, GM told me there was nothing else there COULD or WOULD do for me and they suggested that I contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint against them. I was shocked at that response to say the least. I felt exactly as you do . . . what unmitigated gall! Yet we love these cars so much that we just keep buying them; I guess that's what they count on.

Final note on headlights and wheels. After the "so called rep" looked at the wheels he determined that they are no different than the others, and you know what he is right. We took the time to visit 3 dealers in the area and ALL THE CHROME C6 WHEELS SUCK. No shine and discolored areas all over the place. Order the stock gray and purchase aftermarkets like we plan to do.

Headlight, FINALLY got one that has no errant pieces floating around and got it installed.

We will say one thing from first hand experience, IF you have problems and do not get a proper response, file for arbitration. It takes 15 minutes of your time, and although I will not say what the outcome was from GM, suffice it to say that we were more than satisfied. Dealers and Reps do not have the final say!

Hmmm, my wheels look pretty good. Not as bright as the chrome ones on my '97 WS6, but still bright. Of course, the term "polished aluminium" does not equate to chromium plate to me, as it apparently does to some. Guess it's a matter of expectations.

Our expectation was that Corvette should have wheels that are of even finish without faded or blotchy clear coat. Look hard, I am sure yours have it also. If not consider yourself lucky. We looked at several others at dealer lots and they were worse if not the same as ours. We have "polished aluminium" cookware that looks better and they are several years old!

I agree! The problem is that the C5 polished wheels look "polished"! We have something to compare the C6 wheels to and therein lies the problem for GM. What could have changed in 1 year???

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom