Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pop up headlight slowly shifting backwards..?

drquazar

Corvette
1980 Red and Black Coupe
I have noticed over the summer my headlight housing is slowly shifted backwards, causing damage as it opens to the top of the opening. I have not run into anything, and I have not messed with anything in the frontend. My question is, is there an adjustment to make the entire headlight assembly move?
I only need to move it forward an 1/8th of an inch to properly line it up and elliminate the rubbing. Its now causing the driver side to not open completely because of the ever so slight rubbing. The damage is done, but I would really appreciate any advice on how to get the headlight assembly shifted forward and 1/8th inch. Below is a picture showing the 2 scuffed (white) spots that the light rubs as it goes up. Its literally off by fractions of an inch, but I can't find a way to adjust it.

headlightdam.jpg

drquazar
Blk on Black Batmobile

Something is causing the assembly to move....so something has got to be loose. It is going to take some doing as those headlight assemblies are not fun to work on...but check all the mounting locations bolts/screws. I know that there is adjusment slots, so something has got have come loose.

You are going to have to remove the headlight bezel, the headlights, possibly the actuator in order to really get a good look in there.

I need to move my passenger's side assembly forward as the replacement actuator vacuum connection rubs against the hood edge when I open the hood. (which I do alot), so I too have a rub spot there.

I tried once, but was not successful....have to try again.

Good luck and let me know if you find something.

LannyL81

Well since I could use a new set of rubber seals, perhaps I will get in there far enough to find some mounting adjustments. I have lazy slow pop up on the side of the rub. So it maybe time to try to correct it all at once.
I have seen blow up pictures that mention a "capsule adjustment" screw. Requires removal of bezel and bulbs to get at. Question is...is the "capsule" the entire assembly or just an aiming adjustment?

You do not need to remove the bulbs to adjust the headlight assembly position. With the headlights up and the engine OFFyou do not want the headlights to go down when you have both arms stuck in there. Remove the bezel and find three bolts on each side outside of the headlight frame near the back and top. They are in a cluster about 1 inch apart. loosen these 6 bolts but do not take them out. You should be able to move the headlight assemble up,down,forward or back.

You may need to look at another area. My left headlight assy started doing the same thing this summer. it is NOT out of adjustment in any way, and frankly I couldn't find a way to move the entire assy. What has happened is the glass has started to pull away from the framework along the leading edge of the hood. Push in the nose assembly just in front of the hood line and see if you can feel any depression of the material. When I turn my headlights on the right pops up perfeectly but the left comes up about 3 inches as the back of the headlight bezel is hitting the fiberglass that has risen just a fraction of an inch. If I push on the nose just behind the left assy the light pops right up.

I was amazed that a Z-axis lifting of the material stopped the assembly but it did. Maybe this is your problem?

Good luck............... nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom