Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Popping and cracking sound from roof (coupe)!

4 the ride

Corvette
2015 Laguna Blue Z51
My 2015 Z51 Coupe emits a "popping and cracking" sound from overhead when the roof is installed. When I remove it the noise goes away. I note that earlier C6 owners had this problem and GM issued a fix bulletin and replaced the roof if the fix didn't work. Anyone else experience this? I have not had it into a dealer yet but I was told that there wasn't any any bulletins on this problem at present.

Update: So, I took it to the dealer and they resolved my problem. They called GM Tech. Support and they instructed them to place a thin shim(s) such that the locking mechanisms placed less stress on the roof when secure. They did this and test drove the car with no further noise. I drove it home from the dealer and all seems well!

Further Update: Upon spending more time with the car the problem wasn't fixed. When the sun beats on the top it pops and cracks when driven. Dealer says GM is aware of problem and will be issuing a bulletin early July. They also state that replacing top won't solve problem but I'm in disagreement with this. They further note that I'm not the only one experiencing this. But you wouldn't know it from the responses to this post.

Update: Still making the noise and still awaiting GM's bulletin.

GM has released the Service Bulletin as of today - 10/01/15! My Service Manager received a call from GM this morning informing him that they have released the fix for this roof noise problem. "Here is the bulletin # 15-NA-016 the doc id # is 4277613 for the roof issue on your vette any dealer will be able to pull the repair procedure up thru SI in global connect.":cool!: Let's hope this fixes it!

Last edited:
The roof sometimes creaked on all three of my C6s, but not my Stingray - yet. I usually just removed the roof, gave the gasket a good cleaning and lubed it with Armor All or whatever trim treatment I had on hand. That did the trick, and I suspect I'll need to do the same on the C7. I'd try that before making a special trip to the dealer.

The roof sometimes creaked on all three of my C6s, but not my Stingray - yet. I usually just removed the roof, gave the gasket a good cleaning and lubed it with Armor All or whatever trim treatment I had on hand. That did the trick, and I suspect I'll need to do the same on the C7. I'd try that before making a special trip to the dealer.

Thanks, I have tried that to no avail. Definitely coming from within the top. I will post once I have a dealer evaluate. This may take awhile as I will not be able to do it for a month or so.

I am having the same problem! but I have other creaks too! and I can't find the dumb things!!!

:happyanim:I am having the same type issues !! but I have other creaks too . and I can't find the dumb things! I figured I wasn't the only one, now I know!

2015 Z51 3LT Coupe roof noise

I have a 3 month old C7 coupe that has a noise in the upper right corner of the top when driving on less than smooth roads. I have purchased the O-rings suggested to be put on the front roof pins that is supposed to fix the problem. I have not installed them yet but will post the results when I do.

C7 Roof noise

:happyanim:I am having the same type issues !! but I have other creaks too . and I can't find the dumb things! I figured I wasn't the only one, now I know!

I have spoken to the Corvette Brand Quality Manager and there is a fix on the way. The new parts are now being installed in 2016 Vettes but they needed to build up the inventory.

please let us know when you are informed on the fix!

I have spoken to the Corvette Brand Quality Manager and there is a fix on the way. The new parts are now being installed in 2016 Vettes but they needed to build up the inventory.

I have a 2014 Corvette, and I also suffer from popping and crackling sounds from the removable roof. I tried the o rings, they work for a while, than back to the popping. I used multiple o rings, and the noise came back again. The dealer said not to use the o rings because they cause wear on the surface area where the removable roof pins go. The dealer did in fact replace my roof, but to no avail. Please let me (us) know when you hear what the fix is. Other than that, the car is incredible! Regards, Dan

I have a 2015 coupe and have a creaking problem, also....driver's side. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet but plan to before putting it away for the winter.

I will also have them check the transmission (automatic) because at times, we experience a long delay between first and second gears. I heard this was an issue.

Elaine

Your car is absolutely beautiful...

I have a 2015 coupe and have a creaking problem, also....driver's side. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet but plan to before putting it away for the winter.

I will also have them check the transmission (automatic) because at times, we experience a long delay between first and second gears. I heard this was an issue.

Elaine

I love the color of your Corvette (mine is Laguna Blue), it was not available in 2014 when I bought my Corvette. The orange brings out all the great angles of new C7. WOW, it is amazing what the right color will do for a car. I think they used to call it Atomic Orange. Great choice!
Regards,
Dan

I love the color of your Corvette (mine is Laguna Blue), it was not available in 2014 when I bought my Corvette. The orange brings out all the great angles of new C7. WOW, it is amazing what the right color will do for a car. I think they used to call it Atomic Orange. Great choice!
Regards,
Dan

Thank you, Dan. Acually, the C6 color is called Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic (2005 and 2006). This new one is Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic. I had two 2005 DSOM convertibles and LOVED the color so when the new DSOM came out in November 2014, I was right on it!!

Elaine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom