Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Popping sound from Differential. Binding?

P

Piet

So... finally got the vette on the road last night.
Very Fun!

I notice that I get a popping sound from the rear end. It sounds similar to a wheel hop from a 4X4. Kinda like the differenttial is binding up. I also hear this when comming to a stop. I tends to go away when under way.

Any Ideas?

So... finally got the vette on the road last night.
Very Fun!

I notice that I get a popping sound from the rear end. It sounds similar to a wheel hop from a 4X4. Kinda like the differenttial is binding up. I also hear this when comming to a stop. I tends to go away when under way.

Any Ideas?
The clutches are sticking in the differential from setting!!!It may clear up on it's own!!! Heres something to try,take it to a big parking lot and and back it around in figure 8's 6-8 times and see if that fixes it!! If not change the rear end fluid and put some GM posi-trac additive in and do the same,I'm sure that will take care of it!! It's purdy common after storage!!:upthumbs :D

I have the same exact issue. We were thinking it was the parking break binding a little with the rotors when moving very slowly. It goes away when pulling on the parking break. I did just put new synthetic limited slip differential fluid in along with a conditioner. Don't know if this has helped yet. I will take gmjunkie's advice and back up a few times and then check. Will keep you posted. Thanks Junk...

Sounds typical of posi clutches. Try the additve you may need 2 bottles. The 71-79 clutches are not very good and I have found many that were broken while blueprinting them. If the additive doesn't work try sucking out all the old oil and using fresh oil and additive. Otherwise you may need to drop the diff if it get worse.

Mine has done this for the past 20+ years. When I service/chanks out the Fluid and add 2 bottles of GM additive it goes away for a short time but, back it comes. clump-clump-clump only when coasting to a stop.:eyerole

I just had my differential rebuilt. He filled it with a synthetic, plus a bottle of additive. After driving a few hundred miles mine started to do that. I took it back in, He removed enough fluiid to add a second bottle of the additive and that seems to have solved the problem

I added one bottle..... I still makes a creaking sound from time to time... going to add another bottle.

On another vette forum I have posted a how to in rebuilding these. Look it over in case you need to go into it deeper

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom