Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Portable Scissor Lifts

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
I have read a little about lifts in the Garage forum but though I would ask you folks. Does anyone have one of the portable mid level scissor lifts? I am wondering how helpful they are for working under the car, they look great for tires and barkes but what about oil pans, rear seals, all the other stuff. Just looking for some feed back as I consider if I should purchase one or not. Also any one know if there is a market for used lifts?

I have a mid-rise lift from Bend-Pak and it work's very well, It's not intended for lower engine or transmission work... but the way I look at it,how many time's are you going to change a clutch or replace a seal? I use it for everything. car's,motorcycle,lawn tractor or just a real handy table! It doesn't take up any room unlike a four post lift that I once considered (from Direct-Lift) the mid rise is a good choice The four post you need the jack's that you buy seperate to get the wheel's off. Clutch time? sheet of cardboard and four jack stand's, won't kill ya. :beer http://www.asedeals.com/ This is where I bought mine.

How stable is the lift and car ? Do you ever feel as though you could tip the whole works over ? I'd love to have one of these since I don't have room for a 4 post lift. Thanks.
Regards,
Alan

Once you get it down as to where the lift is centered under the car make some kind of reference point to stop at that mark. level floor? no problem! I'm very happy with this choice of lift. To think I almost sold it to buy a four post mainly for car storage reasons would have been a bad move on my part. I feel you get much more use with a mid-rise. :D

I've had a Bend Pak 6000lb lift for two years and will never work without one now. Mine lifts to 53 inches without the adapters and 6 foot with the truck adapters. I've done motor changes,trannys and exhaust with no problems. You can also get oil drain cans that fit under it for routine maintenance. With some of my lower Vettes I run them up on 2/12's to clear the undercarraige. You can lift the Vette and then set it on jack stands and put on the truck adapters that come with it and have a good 12 inches between the lift and the exhaust ect. My friend just bought one at $1650 including shipping and Made in America. It is also very movable by one person.

Thanks Fred and Bob I am looking at that exact lift, I believe my 76 will be able to drive over it so I can store in on the floor of the gargare under the car, its only 5 and half inches tall correct?

Sorry for the two day delay on a reply, haven't been online. the lift isn't very tall ,I can't remember the exact height but you still might need a couple 2 by 10's or 12's to raise the car just enough to clear where the bell housing goes across the main locking bar. it has a large metal tab dead center that just nick's it,It's a safety tab to lock the lift in case a hydraulic line fails Also this thing is not light and the company that I bought mine from will only deliver to a dock or a buisness because it comes on two pallets joined together but what I was able to do was get info ftom the freight co. and have the driver call me about a hour before del. and I had it set up with a friend at a local garage to be able to make use of a flatbed, met the freight driver and backed the flatbed up to his trailer then pulled it off with the winch. then went to my house backed in halfway into the garage and tilted the bed just enough for the two skid's to slide off. then it's up to you to get the thing off the two pallet's ( L.O.L.) good luck!!:beer

Thanks Bob I did not conside who would deliever it, I guess I better look into it. Thanks again

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom