Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Post Picture of your L81

4 spd. I've owned it for 16 yrs. 42,000 miles.
vetteg.jpg

JU

heres one of mine Bud.

attachment.php

A couple more from the Registry Files ;)

attachment.php

&
attachment.php

Bud

just wondering, why all the focus on the 81 on this site? what am i missing out on with the 81? also, what makes "rare81" rare?

As Bud is not available at the moment, I'll try to answer your question based strictly on my very limited knowledge of the 1981 Corvette.

The information presented is available at various places, both here on the CAC 1981 Model Page and the L81 Registry FAQ section.

L81 is the notation for the engine block used in 1981 Corvettes. The L81 was the only engine option available in 1981 Corvettes. L81 Corvettes may not be the most valuable Corvettes on the road these days, but several factors (including the L81 engine), make it somewhat unique.

1981 Corvettes feature the L81 small block Chevrolet engine, which is controlled by one of the first applications of computer controls in Corvettes.

Another important fact about L81 Corvettes was that this model was made at two different plants - St. Louis, Missouri and Bowling Green, Kentucky. Following 1981, all Corvettes would be assembled in Bowling Green. When viewing our database, you will see the St. Louis built 1981's build numbers that begin with '4', where the Bowling Green built 1981's begin with '5'.

Hope this answers your questions to some degree, until Bud can expand on the info.

:w Jane Ann

81front.jpg

By the way.....

80vettefan,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!!

Your Corvette has the unique claim of being among the last Corvettes produced in St Louis!! Here's a link to the 1980 Model Center Page here on the CAC.

If you've a mind to, post a thread in the New Member Introduction Forum so more of the CAC folks can stop by and say hello.

:w Jane Ann

thanks jane ann. i'll go post an intro. thought i did,but, must have been somewhere else i guess.

just wondering, why all the focus on the 81 on this site? what am i missing out on with the 81?
The short of it is.. The Registry is a place to document as many of the 1981 Corvettes as possible. Rob (the site owner / site Administrator) and I go back a few years and as the Corvette Action Center evolved and included a "Forum" to discussions and provide members with a place to help one another, Rob allowed the L81 VetteRegistry with a sub forum in the C3 Forums Section.

As one of the older members (original first 10 or so) I encouraged the Registry members to join the Action Center. There are several hundred 1981 owners that frequent CAC :D and our Little slice of CAC is quite active :upthumbs.

We are not any more special than any other year, with the exception of our dedication to the 1981 Corvette and our goal (as stated) is to provide "Documented History" of our 1981's along with supporting the Corvette Action Center.

Why the "Special" attention to the 1981 Corvette?...... It's our members :upthumbs that make is Special ;)
just wondering,....... what makes "rare81" rare?
Rare Corvette in this case is more of a nusiance to some ;LOL because there are "Really Rare Corvettes" ;) "Rare81" is the name I gave my 1981. I had many idea's but since my 1981 is 1 or 315 built with the UL5 option (Radio Delete) I decided on Rare81... Is it really a Rare Corvette ;shrug I've heard from many that have their opinion, and it makes for good conversation ;LOL Plus RARE81 fit on California Lic Plates and now Texas ;)

Bud

bud, wow, thats pretty much what i was asking. radio delete in 81? wow, wouldn't thought it possible in that late of model. see you learn something everyday. bud, could you post a pic of the radio delete panel? just curious as to what it looks like.

I wish I had the plate cover for it... The original owner had a Pioneer Stereo Installed. It was rather UGLY with it's brushed aluminum face, so I installed a Kenwood. I love the sound of the exhaust, but I also like listening to music while running down the road ;)

Bud

bud, wow, thats pretty much what i was asking. radio delete in 81? wow, wouldn't thought it possible in that late of model. see you learn something everyday. bud, could you post a pic of the radio delete panel? just curious as to what it looks like.

Great thread. I'm surprised that there are so many Frost Beige cars. Here's my wife's.

ecb5b964.jpg

Another shot of mine. Hopefully a large photo courtesy of Jane Ann. Thanks!
1981_Driveway_2.jpg

Here is my lil vette..
LSVettewithLouvers.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom