Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Post- Steering box- Alignment needed!

80Vette

Corvette
1980 pearl white vette
Hey gang, I have just got the Vette back after the steering box was rebuilt twice.
The steering feels fine now (maybe even a little too loose but we'll see).

But now, it has a "pull" to the left, especially when braking. I've read on the technical board & archives that an alignment should always be done after the new steering box has been installed. Correct?

And if so, how much does a front end alignment cost in your neck of the woods?

Thanks,
Andy

Alignment is always a good idea but I can't understand why a steering box rebuild would make it pull. The steering wheel might not be centered but it should still go straight. You might want to check (adjust) the power steering valve and see if that helps.

You might want to check (adjust) the power steering valve and see if that helps.

Hmmmm...Interesting. During the steering box rebuild I had the power steering pump & control valve both replaced.;help

More likely the steering valve wasn't centered properly when it was replaced.
Replacing the steering box won't have any affect on the alignment.
But if you must, I pay $80.00 for a 4 wheel laser alignment at a good shop here.

Funny you ask, I just had mine done today at a local Chevy Dealer and a 4 wheel alignment set me back $99.00

All correct.

The control valve wasn't factory pre-set worth a squat:eyerole

But, the alignment shop took care of it while they were doing a 4 wheel alignment.

Whew...I am happy to report that this steering setback is (presumeably) over.

No major injuries or huge financial setbacks. Just a little over a month of messing with nonsense.

I just wish I would have simply sent the Steering box to GTR1999 first.

It's just another learning curve I guess.

Oh, byw...A new (rebuilt) steering box, 4 wheel alignment, new PS control valve, new FE bushings, new PS pump...The car really does handle 100% better:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom