Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Power Antenna Not Going up on 81

alyevich

Corvette
1981 C3
New owner in need of help. Spent a good time driving it and now I want to start repairing lot of little things. Currently waiting for shop manual to arrive by mail.
Power antenna is not moving up. Don't even know where to start.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

Does it make any sound at all when you turn on the radio? On mine, I can definitely hear the whirring of the unit when it's going up and down.

Check the power going to the antenna first. Could just be bad/corroded connections.
Also, check the signal coming from the radio. Could be a problem there.

Welcome to the :CAC
If you haven't already, be sure to stop into the New Member Introduction forum and say HEY!

I appreciate the response, but I guess I could use some additional details. I don't even know how to access the power antenna.
There is no sound coming from the antenna mechanism at all when the radio is turned on.
Thanks,
Allen

Do you have the stock radio?? Make sure that BUBA hasn't been hacking away on wiring behind radio. Antenna is above driver side muffler, a little hard to get to. See if 12 volts is present on wiring go to it, make sure ground wire is hooked up and grounding area is clean of any rust to make ground. Since a corvette is a fiberglass body, you have to have good grounds from the frame to the motor and any where else that needs to be grounded. If you don't know how to checkfor voltage, take it to someone that does. Watch what they do and learn.

I noticed in another post you had ordered the AIM. Wait for the AIM to arrive. The optional power antenna has a relay in the rear storage compartment in front of the jack. It gets it's power as part of the stock harness plug to the back of the radio. Once you get the AIM, you'll know where to go look.

:thumb

Thanks.
I don't believe it's the stock radio. It's says Corvette on the cassette door, but it is digital with LED buttons, scan features and so forth. I would have guessed that stereo is late 80s vintage. Would this have an impact on the connection or operation of the antenna?
What does BUBA mean?
Just so I understand correctly (I am not at home to take a peek at the moment), I would have to access the antenna from underneath the car?
Thanks for the help!
Allen

I ordered the Helm shop manual.
Perhaps I am asking some simple questions here, but I am new to the Corvette world and the jargon everyone is using.
You used the abbreviation AIM. What does this acronym mean?
Al

Al... your radio is probably one of the aftermarket types that some vendors have used to try and keep the original look and badging, but use newer internals. There are plenty of threads that you can do a search for that have spoken of these units. If I recall, one of the vendors is not held in high regard. Mostly they are expensive pieces of garbage if I recall correctly.

AIM = Assembly Instruction Manual

Bubba = person that has just enough info to be dangerous. Doesn't use the proper methods for fixing things. Believes bubblegum, duct tape, and WD-40 can fix anything. Doesn't care how it gets fixed, the quality of the craftsmanship, nor what it looks like...as long as it works. When you or a real mechanic come across something that gives you that "What the f***?!?", we say that "Bubba has been there" or "You car has been Bubba'd". :)

Thanks for all the explanation.
Actually, I already have a factory assembly manual and was looking for some details on the actual antenna assembly, and I found one assembly drawing that shows it, but it is not evident how to access the antenna by looking at the assembly drawing. Do I access from inside the car, from underneath, etc. It's not clear.
I did take off the carpet panels to the left and right of the area where the stereo is, just to take a look to make sure a connector was not loose or anything. It has the manufacturers label on the stereo, and I am 95% sure it was Kenwood (5% chance it was Pioneer).
I am guessing this is not one of those aftermarket types you were referring to????
Al

I am 95% sure it was Kenwood (5% chance it was Pioneer). I am guessing this is not one of those aftermarket types you were referring to????l
Yeah, those are decent 'factory-looking' replacements. Last I checked, they were expensive as hell for what is essentially just having the Corvette name branded on 'em. They aren't top of the line from either mfg (Pioneer / Kenwood) but they are still likely better than the original OEM from 20-30 years ago.

Some of the replacement radios were Kenwood, I have one. Sometimes the other radios were used and a spacer was need to fill the original radio hole, and had corvette stamped on them. At least you did not have to cut the center consol up to mount them. True, they were not great radios, put who listens to them much anyway when you are driving with the tops out, on a beatiful day!!?

Thanks.
I don't believe it's the stock radio. It's says Corvette on the cassette door, but it is digital with LED buttons, scan features and so forth. I would have guessed that stereo is late 80s vintage. Would this have an impact on the connection or operation of the antenna?
What does BUBA mean?
Just so I understand correctly (I am not at home to take a peek at the moment), I would have to access the antenna from underneath the car?
Thanks for the help!
Allen

Your antenna is mounted just behind the driver's side rear wheel. You can only access it from underneath the car looking up at it. There is a muffler in the way so it's a little hard to get to. To remove the antenna, unscrew the chrome piece you can see from the top, plus undo the bracket and wiring on the antenna itself (from underneath). The wiring goes into the passenger compartment through a rubber grommet. You can access the connector by removing the left rear speaker and pulling the carpet back. The power to raise the antenna comes from the stereo and goes through a relay - which I believe is under the console near the shifter (I think) - check your AIM. If the previous owner (Bubba) didn't wire the stereo correctly, that could explain why your antenna doesn't work. It could also be a bad relay or a bad motor on the antenna itself.

Radio Antenna Relay is located in Jack Storage Compartment, second unit in from the side panel. See 2 attachments from OEM Shop Manual for some Trouble Shooting tips. Both are the same, except one is at a higher resolution to improve viewing ability.
Hope this helps you, also check fuses (shown in blue).
81AntennaTS1

Al,
I just happened to stumble across this thread because I was about to deal with the same antenna problem on my 81. I was just wondering how you made out. My radio is stock, and works only intermittently (mostly not), but the antenna won't budge, so I'm ready to do some work on it (so I can get a new car cover and it won't get pierced). btw, where in NJ are you from? I was there forever until I retired to FL a few years ago.
Len

Radio Operation Trouble Shooting

Al,
I just happened to stumble across this thread because I was about to deal with the same antenna problem on my 81. I was just wondering how you made out. My radio is stock, and works only intermittently (mostly not), but the antenna won't budge, so I'm ready to do some work on it (so I can get a new car cover and it won't get pierced). btw, where in NJ are you from? I was there forever until I retired to FL a few years ago.
Len

Some things to check are:
1. Radio intermittence problem - replaced entire carpet few yrs ago, had center console out; found that antenna coxial cable at radio was damaged as result of being routed under a bracket; may be worth checking out.
2. Antenna not extending can be caused by failure / brakage of the extender assy inside the antenna. 1 st check to insure you have electrical power at the antenna. Key needs to be on, & radio turned on to activate the control unit below the jack storage tray. Best pwr checking method is with a test light, in stead of a meter. Test light loads the circuit and will ID a maginal fuse or bad wiring connection. If you get a good pwr test results, problem is most likely in the antenna, make sure all the wiring connections at the antenna is in good condition as well.
3. If the control unit is bad, like mine you will need to rewire the circuit to by-pass it, since I have not been able to find either a replacement of some place that repairs it. The replacement antenna I got from Mid-America came with a control relay as part of the new antenna. At that time their installation paperwork didn't tell me about the built-in control; this caused me extra work trying to figure out why the new antenna didn't work. I even requested a replacement which they sent, which didn't work either, until I figured out the function of the built-in control.
4. After re-routing (my 81) power around the OEM antenna control, the antenna goes up/down by turing the radio On & Off. OEM circuit configuration would lower the antenna automaticaly when the car Ignition key was turned off, now the radio needs to turned off first, wait for the antenna mast to lower then turn off the engine.

ps: I have had my 81 since new and have replaced antennas three times because of extender shaft brakage, at one time you could buy just the nylon shaft and install it your self, but was mesy and hard to do with one person. The shaft rod winds around the drive wheel, put it under stress and over time it dries out and get brittle and then brakes.

I hope all this verbage helps to give you some place to start getting your radio working correctly. :upthumbs

Thanks for the info! I did check the relay, and it's getting power. Also there's power to the antenna itself, so the antenna unit obviously must be the problem. Drove up to Eckler's and picked up a new unit. As much compatability as they always state, there seems to be a difference in the length of the mast housing.... although there's no guarantee that what I had in there in the first place was the correct one. However, where the housing mounts to the body bracket, it does look like I'll have to do a little custom work there to get it to bolt up. Removal of the old one was no problem, and since I bought their additional kit, I now have a replacement antenna and full length power wire to go with it. So, when I get to it, next job is to open the interior up and run the new stuff thru the body grommet. Busy with other stuff now, so it may be awhile. Since the radio essentially hasn't worked, I won't miss it, but now I can get my new car cover since I have no antenna mast sticking up!

Having a after market radio installed this week and my antanna has never worked. Found that the connection was removed at the antenna and going to try to see if it does work. If there is a no workie situation i hope to pick up a new antenna and relay while at Carlisle next week. Electrical problems are a pain in the *^@ or if I lost 100 lbs to fit into those small places I could save a lot of $$$$$.

Chuck

Finally got everything in and working, with only a slight adjustment on the bracket mounting because the thing wasn't 100% identical. Body plug came out easier than expected, and wires went back in OK. First try with radio on had it going up and down properly! Unfortunately, while taking things apart in the rear, found that my speaker cones were disintegrated and no longer attached to the sides. Even the fronts were bad, so I'm in the process of replacing all 4 -- found OEM-type replacements at Advanced Auto Parts, wanting to stay stock (most of the newer bi- and tri- types would not fit flush with the speaker grilles). But now that the fronts are out (needed a 7mm open end for that -- thanks, wherever I read that), those grilles could use a re-spraying, along with a small section of dash top. Anyone have good success with a particular spray out of the can for that? Satin or flat for the dash top? Stick with lacquer or use enamel? What about a good match out of the can for the camel/doeskin plastic parts?

Don't have any info on repainted the blacked out dash panel. Would be interested in hearing what others have tried/used. As for the other camel/doeskin interior paint; almost all of the major aftermarket vendors carry interior paint that matches pretty well. I have used the interior paints from Mid-America in the past with good results. There may be others that work just as well. Best wishes!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom