Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Antenna on 2000 convertible vette

Tigershark_11

Corvette
2000 pewter convertable 6m
Hi Guys,
It appears that my power antenna went on my 2000 convertabile vette. I opened up the trunk and pulled off the carpet and noticed that you cant get to the antenna. It looks like its in the body of the rear fender, how do you get to it? :confused Anyone know how to replace the power antenna and if its an easy job?

Thanks Bob.

I thought I could see it when I pulled my tail light out. Did you try to look under the car to see if you could see it?

I didnt pull out my tail light or look under the car. I thought it would be behind the panel in the back where you replace your tail light bulb but I guess not.

Remove right tail lenses and then unbolt the antenna motor

Antenna would not retract all the way. Part of the plastic band which raises and lowers the antenna was broken off inside the motor. Had to remove motor, drill out 3 plastic rivets, remove broken band, relubricate and install a new mast. Got it at antennamastsrus.com for less than $20. Diagnose your problem before blowing over $100 for a new antenna. Access is thru rightmost tail light. I removed both for better view and easier access.
:thumbBIGHANK

My antenna is stuck up all the time. U can hear the motor work when you shut off the radio or turn it back on and same with starting the car. How do you remove the mast? I uncrewed the nut on the top of the antenna from the fender and tried to pull the mask out but didnt slide out. is there another screw on the motor side also? I dont see how I can remove the whole unit with the antenna up all the way. I also tried to push it down manually and it wont budge so I stoped. Thanks for the inputs.

My antenna is stuck up all the time. U can hear the motor work when you shut off the radio or turn it back on and same with starting the car. How do you remove the mast? I uncrewed the nut on the top of the antenna from the fender and tried to pull the mask out but didnt slide out. is there another screw on the motor side also? I dont see how I can remove the whole unit with the antenna up all the way. I also tried to push it down manually and it wont budge so I stoped. Thanks for the inputs.
There is a small nut on top of the antenna mast assembly that needs to come off before the mast can be pulled out. An adjustable wrench will work , but be mindful of the paint when turning the wrench.

After the nut is off, you can try and pull the antenna straight up and out, but more than likely, the mast is stuck. Wiggling the mast from side to side (gently) may help. If it absolutely will not budge, spray the mast with WD-40 or P'Blaster and let it soak in for a few minutes, then try pulling again.

Mine was stuck and it would not budge either. I ended up getting a very small flat-head screwdriver down around the base of the mast and worked the screwdriver around the circumference where there is a small sheath around the mast, but you cannot see it when the antenna is installed. This is the piece that gets stuck.

After working the screwdriver around a few times, I pulled on the mast again and it gave way. Watch that you do not punch yourself in the face though...

CG

If you can't get the mast out doing this remove tail light and remove motor

There is a small nut on top of the antenna mast assembly that needs to come off before the mast can be pulled out. An adjustable wrench will work , but be mindful of the paint when turning the wrench.

After the nut is off, you can try and pull the antenna straight up and out, but more than likely, the mast is stuck. Wiggling the mast from side to side (gently) may help. If it absolutely will not budge, spray the mast with WD-40 or P'Blaster and let it soak in for a few minutes, then try pulling again.

Mine was stuck and it would not budge either. I ended up getting a very small flat-head screwdriver down around the base of the mast and worked the screwdriver around the circumference where there is a small sheath around the mast, but you cannot see it when the antenna is installed. This is the piece that gets stuck.

After working the screwdriver around a few times, I pulled on the mast again and it gave way. Watch that you do not punch yourself in the face though...

CG

Sounds like your cable is broken off inside. Only way to fix this is remove motor thru right tail light after unbloting and removing all nuts and screws then drilling out rivets like I did. First go to antennamastsrus.com and print or download the instructions. After I got the borken cable out I reassembled the cover on the motor using 3 small self tapping screws. You insert the new mast into the motor after reassembling.

I was able to remove the mast afer a little wiggle it came right out. I then puched the antenna down and looked at the plastic long gear and it looks like its all there! The teeth looks a little worn out maybe thats why it wasnt grabbing the motors gears. I did order the mast so im going to try to put it back on without pulling the motor out. I may just get lucky because the gear on the mast didnt break off inside. :) Ill let you know how I make out when I get the new mast in! :beer

Im back up and running thanks to you guys! :beer I got the mast in from antennamastsrus.com. I compared mine to the new one and I did break off 3" to 4" in the motor assembly but I found a good trick. I pulled the motor out of the rear light, I had someone hold it upside down shacking it while I keeped powering the motor on and off and the gear fell out without me needing to open up the motor. I replaced it with the new mast and mounted the motor. Everything worked but one thing I did notice was the top of the antenna didnt go fush into the car molding there was about a 1/4" sticking up. I powered it up a few times and no luck. So I powered it back up and when the antenna was up I pushed it down a few inches and it went down but did pop up back into its full position. After I did that I turned off the antenna and it went down now to its position where its now flush. I powered it up and down a few times and had no issues. For some reason me pushing it down a little while the anteena was up adjusted it to seat flush to the car when down. Doesnt make sense but it worked. Luck of the draw I guess to figure that out. So if your antenna doesnt sit flush try that trick it worked for me and it works mint now. Must be some feature to adjust the height or something who knows. Thanks guys!

Glad you shook the stub out of the motor you lucked out

Saved a 2 hour drill and disassemble job. My new antenna also did not retract fully at first. Had to push it in manually about a half inch for a week or so. Now it retracts almost always fully sometimes just a slight bit up. Isn't that a great improvement from what you had before.

Mine was the same way but now it goes down everytime. All I did was turn the radio on and when the antenna was still up I pushed it down a little and then stopped and it popped back up automatically. Then I powered down the antenna and it went flush due to that. Havent had an issue since. Try that trick it worked. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom