Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Brake Bleeder

Craig-o

Corvette
2001 Navy Blue Convert, 6-Speed
I think this might go better in the Tech Center as a user submitted product review, but I couldn't figure out how to submit one.

I've long been a shade-tree mechanic, and have been generally tentative about working on my 2001 Corvette. But as I have already put 60,000 miles on the odometer, I'm getting more and more brave.

When looking for a solution to flushing and bleeding the brakes on my boat trailer, I stumbled across a new product made by "Motive Products" - http://www.motiveproducts.com/
a pressure brake bleeder. This thing is great! I flushed and bled the brakes on the boat trailer in less than 15 minutes, start to finish. Now, there were only 2 calipers, and 1 pison on each, but with a full brake job for the Corvette looming in my future, I'm actually looking forward to changing the brake fluid.

The concept is simple; you pressurize the system at the master cyllinder reservoir and push new fluid through the lines instead of pulling it with a vacuum, or having your spouse pump the pedal, while you coordinate opening and closing the bleeder valve. Once the system is pressurized, and with its own reservoir of new fluid, all you do is go to each bleeder screw, open them, and watch the fluid get pushed out. No pumping, no second person, no coordinated activities, just watch it flow into the jar.

On my trailer, I ended up with too much new brake fluid in the pump and had a bit of a mess to clean up, so I need to perfect the technique before I try doing a car with a painted finish I care about. But this was so easy! I always scoffed at the idea of changing brake fluid every year or 2, but with this new tool, it won't be such a daunting or tedious task.

I highly recommend this product, and if someone can tell me how to post a user product review, I'll put more time into writing a thorough review.

Craig-o

I definitely agree! Did my Pace Car, allready up on jacks and wheels removed, in about 20 minutes. Flushed about 2 quarts through, at least a pop can full at each bleeder. Tip for avoiding the mess. When done bleeding, turn the tank on it's side so that the clear tube won't pick up any more fluid. Open front drivers side bleeder one more time and watch the air gap in the tube til it gets to the master cylinder. Bleed a dribble more and stop.
On the older Vettes they have a crappy setup to attach the fitting to the master cylinder. I add 2 clamps, helps a lot. Don't start bleeding till the tank holds pressure, probably not a problem with the screw on caps on the newer Vettes.
Plan on doing every year or so while they're still up in storage.
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom