Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

power brakes and power steering

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
I noticed a lot of vetts without power brakes or power steering.
For any of you who are missing one or the other or both, how much does not having these power options affect your driving?
I mean does it make your braking less consistant and longer braking times?
Does the lack of power steering get annoying after a while when driving at slow speeds? etc
thanks
jim

No it doesnt,you get used to turning while moving,the braking I dont know.But just remember you always look good in a vette no matter what little difficulties there are.Merry X-mas and Aloha

My car has neither.It bothered me when i first bought the car but i have grown to like driving the car without them.The non-powered brakes stop great,you just have to use more foot pressure on the pedal.I have no problems with the steering exept i wish the ratio was a little faster.I've been thinking about switching to the front tie rod holes but i'm worried about how bad it will affect the slow speed driving.

I do not have power brakes and it's no big deal. The only times that I really notice it is when I go from driving my newer vehicles with power brakes, to driving the Vette. But after a few stops in the Vette, you don't even notice it.

PS & PB

Power steering on my Vette is not that great, I think it's called power assist. I still have to let the car roll to make it easy to turn. On my import you will get a flat spot since it's very easy to turn the wheel without moving the car.
The power brakes are great, found that out when someone made a left in front of me and the 4 wheels locked up just fine. Sure you could do the same with non power brakes with a little more pressure.
PG.

I think its what you are use to. I didnt have either on my 68, but installed both during the restoration and I love it.

Neither one on the 68, and I dont miss the power assists. Nor do I have them in my 62 either. Except they were not available as OEM parts on the Deuce. Back then I also had 19 in. arms. Today a little smaller.....but not by a hell of a lot.....:D...

The Corvette power steering control valves are similar to the Ford valves and really not as good as the modern rack and pinion. Wide wheels and tires do eventually cause problems.

Aren't most manual steering setups geared different than power steering? So for example, a manual steering car would be easier to steer than a power steering car with the belt broke?

Aren't most manual steering setups geared different than power steering? So for example, a manual steering car would be easier to steer than a power steering car with the belt broke?

'63-'82 Corvettes all use the same steering gear whether they have manual or power steering. The only difference in the overall ratio is due to the outer tie rod ends on power steering cars being installed in the hole on the steering arm closest to the spindle, providing a slightly faster ratio; manual steering tie rod ends go in the hole furthest from the spindle - slightly slower overall ratio, and less steering effort than a power steering car with no boost.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom