Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Power door locks will lock but won't unlock

mljones13

Corvette
1981 Red Coupe
Hello. I have a 1981 with a power lock issue. I have seen some info regarding this, but I need some expert assistance. I can lock the doors with the power lock button, but I cannot unlock them using the lock/unlock button. Do I need to replace the relay/relays? Where are they located? Can I do it myself? I have SOME mechanical ability, and some tools. I cannot crawl up under the dash or anything similar. (too fat and too old) Are these parts available and are they expensive? Thank you for your time.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Usually what happens in mine is that the connections at the switch(es) either fall out (soldered before and now broke) or they arent connected properly anymore. Ie only one copper thin wire is hanging on a thread in the connector behind the door panel that connects to the switch in the door. Easiest actually: Take the door panels off and check your connections at the button in the door. If thats not it, it'll get a bit more complex but not impossible. :)

Let us know how it's going..

:w
-Stefan

Power door locks

Hey Mike,

Usually what happens in mine is that the connections at the switch(es) either fall out (soldered before and now broke) or they arent connected properly anymore. Ie only one copper thin wire is hanging on a thread in the connector behind the door panel that connects to the switch in the door. Easiest actually: Take the door panels off and check your connections at the button in the door. If thats not it, it'll get a bit more complex but not impossible. :)

Let us know how it's going..

:w
-Stefan

Thanks, I will try that and let you know how it goes.

MIke

They probably need a good cleaning too. I used a wire brush to get all the oxidation of the connections. Some electrical contact cleaner would help as well. I'll bet it's a contact issue. Good luck.

Power door locks

They probably need a good cleaning too. I used a wire brush to get all the oxidation of the connections. Some electrical contact cleaner would help as well. I'll bet it's a contact issue. Good luck.

Thank you! I have a small wire brush and I bought some contact cleaner yesterday. Waiting for the weather to cool off before I pull the door panels.

Hello. I have a 1981 with a power lock issue. I have seen some info regarding this, but I need some expert assistance. I can lock the doors with the power lock button, but I cannot unlock them using the lock/unlock button. Do I need to replace the relay/relays? Where are they located? Can I do it myself? I have SOME mechanical ability, and some tools. I cannot crawl up under the dash or anything similar. (too fat and too old) Are these parts available and are they expensive? Thank you for your time.

Mike

this is not a bad task and can be completed by access to the door panels. I had a similar problem and when I pulled the door panel, as Ed notes, I found a wire hanging by a few single strands. Its good to go thru and check both switches and actuators while you've got the door panel off. I'm including a link to an article written that describes the process.

http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/Articles/doorlockrepair.pdf

Power door lock issue

Mike
I want to thank all of you that responded with suggestions that might get my locks working again. You were correct!! I took the connections apart, sprayed them with contact cleaned, wire brushed them and BOOM!! They work like new! Thanks again. This forum is priceless!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom