Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

power door locks

cscarlson

Corvette
2003 50Th Corvette
my 1980 corvette harness wires are connected but the passenger side doesn't work, where is the fuse for the passenger power door lock , each side should have one according to the diadgrams, i badly need this info,

I beleive my on 81, (which should be the same) they are both powered on the same fuse. Having just gone threw this on mine I also learned that if one of the switchs craps out niegher of the locks will work. If I had to guess and that al it would be I would check the articulator on that side.

we troubleshot the wiring again and after hours of work we found out one of the wiring harnesses are badand with a ohm meter(that i had to buy) we found out that the switch too was bad,,, where is the best place to buy power door lock switches? do the chevrolet dealers sell them?

I've bought them from Zip products www.zipcorvette.com for about $49.99 each (I think). I replaced them both on my 80, and the passenger side is still intermittent, probably a bad harness as well. Good luck.

Steve :w

for 50.00 dollars do the switches have lock at the bottom of them?

I think so, but check with the people at ZIP. Very friendly and quick service.

Steve :w

Switches

You can purchase new aftermarket (GM) switches at places such as: Autozone, Pep Boys etc....

They go for about $5.00 each.

really... do they look like the ones in our corvettes?

CSC- re: Switches

The switches I saw did look just like ours, that's what got my attention. I didn't need them, but I actually thought to myself....someday. :eyerole

Since GM produces so many cars that use the same parts....
I have, and needed to become, a "Smarter Shopper".

Just because it's in a Corvette, doesn't mean you have to pay the "Corvette Price".
Afterall, a new Corvette couldn't sell for $45,000 if GM didn't consolidate inventory and parts.
Remember, depending on what you need, think and look elsewhere, perhaps a Camero, Monte Carlo, Cavalier, etc....

If it's not exclusive to Corvette, chances are it's cheaper and closer to home than you think.

Good Luck :)

Bought new switches at my local NAPA store. $9.95 ea. Didn't have LOCK on the bezel. Took about five minutes to change bezels. Saved many $$$s.
Kev

replaced the switch, passenger door locks great but doesn't want to unlock,,,what might be the problem now?

what are ths symptoms for a bad power door lock actuator? anyone had any experience?

I don't know if this pertains to your situation, but I recently had a problem with my non-power door locks not unlocking. The passenger side lock would lock but not unlock. I thought I would replace the entire locking mechanism, but thanks to some info from people on the action center, I got out the WD-40. I sprayed it liberally on all of the mechanisms in the door while continuously actuating the door lock. Within minutes the door lock works great. So, if you haven't yet, you might want to spray the mechanism inside the door with WD-40. Don't worry it won't hurt the paint and will not hurt any part of the inner door.

It could never hurt and probably needs to be done anyhow. People rarely think about lubing a part such as this.

Russ

Thanks for the info , i will try it. ever had any experience with the actuator just in case/

Thanks for the info , i will try it, but just incase have you ever had any dealings with the actuator?

I have a 79 and I too am having trouble with my passenger door locks. I bought a new pigtail for the door but noticed that the schematics on the manual and the switch are different. When I wired up the switch, my fuse goes. I bypassed the passenger side and use the driver side only.

WHERE DID YOU BUY THE PIGTAIL FROM? and what you you mean you bypassed the passenger side and use only the drivers side.

I bought the pigtail from Zip Corvette. I disconnected the passenger side and used some of those as ground only. This is the only way the lock works. Just a thought thou, my car did have a factory alarm when new, hmm! Wonder if this has anything to do with it? I'll check.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom