Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power seat trouble

BOONE93

Corvette
1993 WHITE COUPE
The power passenger seat in my 93 makes a buzzing/grinding sound when i try to move it forward or backward. It will move if i push it by hand.The tilt and up and down seem to work fine. This seat looks like new. I know it has'nt been used much. Any suggestions ?

BOONE93 said:
The power passenger seat in my 93 makes a buzzing/grinding sound when i try to move it forward or backward. It will move if i push it by hand.The tilt and up and down seem to work fine. This seat looks like new. I know it has'nt been used much. Any suggestions ?
The gears are stripped. The gears inside the track are made out of a nylon material that strips over time. You have to send the track in to get rebuilt. There is no kit you can buy to do it yourself.

BOONE93 said:
For some reason everybody will say "the gears will be striped". If you look at the below pictures you will see that the gears are the least of your worries. Your better off buying a good used set (~$125), then sell your broken ones on Ebay. (~$30). You will not find the parts....
I wrote a procedure to remove the tracks and seat cushions, just pm me if you want them.... Takes about 20 minutes per side if you know what to look for....

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/21Seattrackbeforedisassembly.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/22Seattrackgoodpicturebroken.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/23Trackbushing.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/24Trackfrontbushing.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/29Trackgears.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/28Trackplasticcloseup.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/27Trackplasticbroken.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/93Corvette/26Trackgearflatspot.jpg

jimmers said:
The gears are stripped. The gears inside the track are made out of a nylon material that strips over time. You have to send the track in to get rebuilt. There is no kit you can buy to do it yourself.
Sorry Jimmers, I was writing my response when you posted yours. I didn't mean it to be a slam concerning the gears being striped.......

93*Corvette said:
Sorry Jimmers, I was writing my response when you posted yours. I didn't mean it to be a slam concerning the gears being striped.......
Thats fine, no worries. I dont understand your post though. The pictures you posted, especially the last one, show a stripped gear. So what are you saying is wrong exactly?

jimmers said:
Thats fine, no worries. I dont understand your post though. The pictures you posted, especially the last one, show a stripped gear. So what are you saying is wrong exactly?
What I was trying to point out is: Most people, including myself, thought that the only thing that was wrong with a seat track was a gear (meaning one) that was stripped.

Working with AutoCad guys and Molder (Metal parts makers) I got tired of people telling me that they couldn't get the gear because no one sold it. So I was going to have the guys make me some. Which in my job, the "high priority home projects" take precedence. Imagine my supprise when I opened mine up and found not only that the seven (7) gears were stripped, but also the shaft bushings, the big long plastic main piece, and the plastic bearings.

So, the main thing I was wanting to point out is: if someone thinks they can repair their own by "just replacing the stripped gear" then they're wrong. I truly was expecting a (meaning one) stripped gear. Not the entire insides to be broken (ie 15 parts)

I ordered a rebuilt seat track from Mid America Motorworks to replace a bad 1 on the drivers side a few years ago on a 96. It's an easy swap out. I sent the bad 1 back to receive credit for the core charge.

BTW - Welcome to the :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Is it possible to swap the powerseat transmission between frames? I ordered a rebuilt one from MA but the frame itself is very loose compared to mine. I'm afraid that if I used that one my seat would move around.

blankster said:
Is it possible to swap the powerseat transmission between frames? I ordered a rebuilt one from MA but the frame itself is very loose compared to mine. I'm afraid that if I used that one my seat would move around.
Not sure what you mean by the transmisson between the frame. Please explain some more...

blankster said:
can I transfer the gear housing from one seat from to another or is it rivited to the seat frame.
I just looked at my broken ones and I don't think you can... Just curious, why would you want to? The drivers and passengers are exactly the same (ie they have the same part #)...
I'm guessing you think there is a left and right side and are thinking of making the drivers side work with the parts from the passenger side. Why, if the passengers side works, then take that track out an use it on the drivers side.... There is no difference between them....

93*Corvette said:
I just looked at my broken ones and I don't think you can... Just curious, why would you want to? The drivers and passengers are exactly the same (ie they have the same part #)...
I'm guessing you think there is a left and right side and are thinking of making the drivers side work with the parts from the passenger side. Why, if the passengers side works, then take that track out an use it on the drivers side.... There is no difference between them....

My 92 is perfect NCRS quality, I wanted to maintain the original frame with the correct number stampings (Date stamp etc). I ordered a rebuilt frame from MAD thinking I could swap the gear housing from the rebuilt one to mine. But that doesn't look possible. Also the frame they sent was so loose that the seat would rock in place. I'm going to send it back. Looks like I'm going to have to send mine in to be rebuilt.

I don't have this problem, but I do have an extra seat frame. I have tried to sell it but noone wants a frame that isn't perfect (one motor kicks the breaker). Anyway, I figured that some company would like to buy this frame for rebuilding, but all I get is "We only take cores if you buy a frame." Now something here doesn't make sense, don't they have to have cores to rebuild?

Sorry if this hijacks your thread.

blankster said:
My 92 is perfect NCRS quality, I wanted to maintain the original frame with the correct number stampings (Date stamp etc). I ordered a rebuilt frame from MAD thinking I could swap the gear housing from the rebuilt one to mine. But that doesn't look possible. Also the frame they sent was so loose that the seat would rock in place. I'm going to send it back. Looks like I'm going to have to send mine in to be rebuilt.
Just curious, where do you look for the date stamp on the tracks? Didn't notice where it was....

93*Corvette said:
Just curious, where do you look for the date stamp on the tracks? Didn't notice where it was....

If you are looking at the frame from the front, the stamp should be on the right front portion of the frame next to the bolt hole where it bolts to the floor. I wish I could find the place MAD send them to be rebuilt. They tell me to send it to them but it could take 2 or 3 weeks to get mine rebuilt. New motors and frames are available from the LAst Detail (separately).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom