Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Power steeing fluid leaking on 2001 vette with 25,000 miles

irish7

Corvette
2001 Coupe
Help please. I am the second owner of the 2001 vette with only 25,000 miles on the car. I have had it since May of 2007 and put on 13,000 miles in that time.

This spring started the car and drove it for 15 mile and saw no leaks. The next morning drove 5 mile to town and parked it for an hour. Started the car and heard the wining of low power steeing fluid. I added fluid and now I see the fluid on the passager side frame as I look in from above. This then runs down on the ground.

Does anyone have any idea why and what is leaking?
Thanks

Help please. I am the second owner of the 2001 vette with only 25,000 miles on the car. I have had it since May of 2007 and put on 13,000 miles in that time.

This spring started the car and drove it for 15 mile and saw no leaks. The next morning drove 5 mile to town and parked it for an hour. Started the car and heard the wining of low power steeing fluid. I added fluid and now I see the fluid on the passager side frame as I look in from above. This then runs down on the ground.

Does anyone have any idea why and what is leaking?
Thanks

It would be best to put it up on a hoist and do a thorough check, tracing the fluid to it's highest point. Check the cooler and associated hoses, and the power steering rack carefully. Good luck with it. :)

My 01 basically did the same thing. Seemed to be fine, then the next thing I knew, fluid running all over the ground. Mine was the seals on the rack. New rack to the tune of $1200. Throw in some Lucas power steering fluid and it will renew the seals and slow or stop the leak.

It would be best to put it up on a hoist and do a thorough check, tracing the fluid to it's highest point. Check the cooler and associated hoses, and the power steering rack carefully. Good luck with it. :)

Thank you, I have been so busy I haven't really lookd at it yet. I have noticed that it continues to leak even just sitting in the garage. It wasn't leaking over the winter at all. Whe the the the system started to wine initially I added fluid. I hope I didn't do more damage.

I am thinking the that the leak must be very low in the system if it continues to leak without even running the car.

Could this be a simple issue? Also, when I add fluid should I be concernen about the bleeding process?
Thanks

Thank you, I have been so busy I haven't really lookd at it yet. I have noticed that it continues to leak even just sitting in the garage. It wasn't leaking over the winter at all. Whe the the the system started to wine initially I added fluid. I hope I didn't do more damage.

I am thinking the that the leak must be very low in the system if it continues to leak without even running the car.

Could this be a simple issue? Also, when I add fluid should I be concernen about the bleeding process?
Thanks

Turning you steering wheel full lock left to right a few times will purge the air from the system, just make sure that the fluid does not go low and allow any air back in. Good luck with it. :)

Lucas Power Steering Fluid and Conditioner

My 01 basically did the same thing. Seemed to be fine, then the next thing I knew, fluid running all over the ground. Mine was the seals on the rack. New rack to the tune of $1200. Throw in some Lucas power steering fluid and it will renew the seals and slow or stop the leak.

I can hardly believe what has transpired. I added the Lucas product and over the past week the leaking has virtually stopped. :happyanim: Thank you for the advice.

I can hardly believe what has transpired. I added the Lucas product and over the past week the leaking has virtually stopped. :happyanim: Thank you for the advice.
Yep, Good Stuff!:thumb

Which one did you use,Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak or Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioner?

The stop leak works the fastest!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Last edited:
Yep, Good Stuff!:thumb

Which one did you use,Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak or Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioner?

The stop leak works the fastest!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I used the Power Steering Fluid and Conditioner. I believe its completely stopped leaking.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom