Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Power steering conversion - power steering pump

twoseater

Corvette
1965 Blue Vert, 1980 White Coupe
Hi folks - not sure if anyone here has done a power steering conversion with a kit....but I did buy a kit and low and behold the power steering pump doesn't clear the frame with the pulley on. The pulley hits the frame and I can't possibly line up the bolts.

This isn't an original engine - it is a 327. Not sure what to do at this point. Anyone run into this? Any ideas? I'm guessing that the unoriginal components have put me in a bind as its should fit according to what I purchased.

Attached is a picture. There is no clearance to adjust or put on a power steering belt. I'm thinking a smaller pully but that would change the speed at which the pump spins.

I think I need about 1/2 inch would do it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374445131.690337.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374445131.690337.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 90
That appears to be the standard small block mounting bracket used from '65 to '82. Not much chance of getting the wrong thing there. I know there are single groove and 2 groove pulleys available as well as some different offsets not used on Corvettes but diameter doesn't vary much if at all. I have a stack of different pulleys here and they are all 5.75 inch give or take a tenth. I think you would have a hard time finding a smaller diameter. If you did, it would increase the pump rpm and could cause overheating and foaming of the p/s fluid. You would then have to add a p/s fluid cooler in line.

Back in my Chevy dealership days I have seen the p/s pulley and sometimes the crank pulley contact the frame crossmember before on cars when the motor mounts were shot allowing the engine to sit too low. I can barely get my little finger between the pulley and the crossmember on my wife's '81. C3 crossmembers may be different than C2 so I may have more room than you do. You also mentioned that it isn't the original engine. It could be that it doesn't have the correct motor mounts. Some aftermarket replacement motor mounts are a one size fits all and not as thick as GM. Unless you changed the engine you don't know what they used. Check the condition of the rubber in your motor mounts. If in doubt go to the Chevy store and look at a correct mount and take measurements.

Tom

Thanks Tom - will take your advice and re-check motor mounts. It's darn close and just barely rubs. You are right also that my search for a smaller pulley has been in vain thus far. I did find one 4.6 inch diameter but that is way to small. There was another thread in my searches that indicated a slightly smaller pulley would be ok and not cause too much of a difference, but 4.6 would be a HUGE difference. I may have a friend make we one in his machine shop if the motor mounts look fine.

Thanks again!

Tom - quick update: you are THE MAN!!!

I replaced the motor mounts and now have the clearance for the power steering pump. In addition, the driver side mount was cracked so I got a twofer on that fix!

I ordered the mounts for zip corvettes and got the "correct" ones. It seems much flimsier than the one I took out - especially the ears on the mount. The old one was about 1/4 thick and the new ones about an 1/8. However, since its stock, I would guess it will hold up. Wish it was beefier.

At least the complexity has been removed with replacing motor mounts - I'll be much quicker the second time around should I need to replace it in the future.

Again, thank you so much for your knowledgable response - it was spot on!

I'm glad to hear that you have the clearance problem corrected. Now you can enjoy that power steering.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom