Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Power Steering gear box help.

Reese001

Corvette
1974 Corvette Stingray White
I would like to know if this is a sign of a power steering gear box issue or if it is fairly normal for 1974 corvettes or any other C3. When I reach down and grab the rag joint I can move it very easily about 1-1.5 turns either way. And if this does mean that the gear box is on the way out. Where should I get a new gear box and rag joint for a decent price. or if there is a way to fix this without buying a new gear box any recommendations would be awesome.

No, that's not normal. That's extremely dangerous if you can actually move it that much. There should be zero play at the rag joint. The steering box input shaft on a power steering car should move only a few degrees with the engine off.

Are you sure of what you're seeing?

Rag joints can be bought from Zip , the steering box can be rebuilt, or you can purchase a rebuilt one. I do not recommend rebuilding the rag joint.

just went out and did it again, with the engine off and the wheels set close to center I can move the rag joint quite a bit back and forth. seems like it has quite a bit of play in it unfortunantly.:ugh I guess no more driving the vette until I can replace the rag joint and gear box. replacing these two is a fairly straight forward procedure right? would you guys recommend removing the steering column or can I leave that in the car and just remove the rag joint and gear box?

Thank you for the help :D

No need to touch the steering column. Remove the three carriage bolts holding the steering box to the frame and there will be enough clearance to slip off the rag joint.

Exactly how far can you turn the input shaft of the box before the output shaft (not the road wheels) moves?

Is this play in the "rag joint". Is it in the steering box or in the steering linkage?

okay took a small video on my cell hopefully it came out good enough had a friend hold the flashlight while I moved the rag joint back and forth. seems to me like its moving alot but I will let you guys be the judge of that.

YouTube - VID 00000 20091112 0758

sorry about all the questions just wanna make sure that everything is functioning correctly or what is needed to make it function correctly.

I watched the video three or four times. Having your hand and the HT wires obstructing the view makes it difficult to see much.

I did not see any play in the rag joint itself. I heard (more than saw) a clunk from somewhere as you turned the input shaft back and forth. To repeat the question- Exactly how far can you turn the input shaft of the box before the output shaft (not the road wheels) moves?

okay where exactly is the output shaft? if anyone has a diagram I could find the info you want when i get home tonight. thanks for all the help guys.

sorry about the poor video quality was a cell phone and was on my way out the door

The box has an input shaft (you've found that) and an output shaft on the bottom. Turn the input and watch/feel the output. There should be virtually no play.

okay great. thanks for the speedy response will post what i find when I get home tonight

okay just got home. Here is what I found when I Moved the rag joint with my right hand and felt underneath the gearbox with my left when I turned the rag joint back and forth there was a small amount of movement underneath the gearbox. atleast it felt like there was a small amount of movement tomorrow morning when I have better lighting i will use a small mirror and confirm whether or not there is visible movement. Would just like to thank you all for putting up with my newb questions and helping me with this. :)

From the video it appears that the input shaft is moving quite a bit even if the output has a little movement. Probably gonna take a steering box rebuild.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom