Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering Improvements

K

kenesawdawg

I have recently purchased a 1969 L36 (427/390 hp) and am tackling the mechanic issues first. The car was leaking Power Steering hydraulic fluid in several places so I had the PS hydraulic cylinder and control value replaced and installed a new hose kit. There is still more "play" in the steering than I would like. Any suggestions on what I can do to reduce the amount of play in the steering or is this just something to live with/get use to? Any sugggestions is appreciated.

you may have to adjust the steering box to get the play out of it. also the streering rag joint needs to be inspected to see if it needs to be replaced.

kenesawdawg said:
...I had the PS hydraulic cylinder and control value replaced and installed a new hose kit. There is still more "play" in the steering than I would like. Any suggestions on what I can do to reduce the amount of play in the steering or is this just something to live with/get use to? Any sugggestions is appreciated.

If your experience is like it was for many of us you will spend a lot of time and money trying to get acceptable steering quality from the system. I, and many others, have messed with the system for a long time only to give up. Thats why products like "Steeroids" (rack & pinion conversion) exist. I am hoping to convert to a jeep style steering box in the future for about half the money of steeroids.

Good luck.

There are several places in the steering that can cause looseness in the steering. The first is the rag joint at the end of the steering shaft. The second is the steering box. It can be adjusted by loosening the 5/8" nut on the top of the box and turning the center screw clockwise while wiggling the steering wheel until the play is taken out.
The third cause of looseness or lack of response is the bushings and bracket on the end of the steering assist rod that anchors the rod to the frame. The bushings wear and the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame can loosen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom